Sufix 832 for 2500 Reel

Wanted to ask you guys about this. I had Sufix 832 in #10 on a Symetre 2500 and a St. Croix Premier 6'6 ML rod for a while and i can cast light lures effortlessly with that set up. I started using it in the salt for light surf fishing and the reel started binding badly so I decided to go get a new reel that'd stand up to the salt a little better.

I went with a Penn Battle 2500 a few days ago and wanted to put #10 or #15 Sufix 832 on it but the store only had #20 in stock so I went with that. I haven't been happy with the casting distance I've gotten at all. I'm almost thinking about taking it off and going with #15. I'm not sure why I'm getting such a significant reduction in casting distance. I know it's a new line and needs a little bit of time to break in, but the loss in performance is still quite surprising.

Have any of you guys with experience in using between #10-20 braid on your 2500 reels noticed a similar change in casting distance when going from #10 to #20?

I think the best all around line choice for my reel might be #15 just looking at the Penn reel specs. There's a minimal difference in line capacity between #10 and #15 and quite a significant loss in capacity when going with #20.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

2. Member
    I use 832 a lot and the difference between 10 and 20 lb is fairly large. I only use 10 lb in freshwater and have never felt the need for heavier line on my spinners. The break strength for that line is well above 10 lbs (around 20ish if memory serves me right).

3. Member
    Thanks PKnight, I saw a review that said #10 832 breaks between 14-15 lbs. But yeah, that's definitely one strong line! :)

I might get to tangle with some 20-50 pound fish occasionally. Never know... I think I am starting to lean towards going with #10 just for the ease of casting, and I really think it should be enough for most of the 2-15 pound fish I'll typically find in the surf. But sometimes, getting those fish through the surf zone can be a bit tricky especially when the waves are sucking them back into the deeper water instead of pushing them up shallow. Hmm!

4. Member
    I haven't ever battled a 50 lb fish but I can tell you 10 lb 832 will hold up to 30 lb redfish.

5. Member
    With 10-15# braid being roughly 2# mono diameter how much does it take to fill a 2500 or 3000 reel?

6. Member
    Get a 300 yard spool and it'll take almost all of it.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

7. Member
    Are you guys using a leader?

8. Member
    I only use spinning rods for popping corks inshore in the salt so I use a leader for that. I use Curados for almost everything else when fishing for reds and specks in the marsh and only use a leader for topwaters and jerkbaits. But our water is pretty dirty and fish aren't line shy.

If you do need a leader, an albright will get it done.

Something else. I use 832 almost exclusively on my baitcasters with braid. I totally stopped using it for spinning reels. I find when casting into the wind and working a bait or popping a cork the 832 is so limp that occasionally it will wrap around the rod tip. I had that happen when popping a cork one day and before I could unwrap it a fish grabbed the bait and broke a nice Loomis rod. I immediately switched to stiffer Powerpro even though I far prefer the 832. If that is not an issue for the way you fish, nothing I have found casts even close to as far as Berkley Nanofil on a spinning rod, but it is even limper than 832.

9. Member
    The line I like the most for casting into the wind is Fins Windtamer. It's a 4 strand with a hard outer coating. I got tired of casting reels being destroyed by the salt so I pretty much only use spinners now, but I wish I could find a casting that would hold up.

10. Member
    Surprisingly, my Curado 70s have held up significantly better than my Curado 200Is and my Citicas in the salt. I fish about equally between bass and specks/reds in the marsh and use the same casting gear for both. Zero issues with the 70s but the 200Is and Citicas need love every few months.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Are you guys using a leader?

Yup. I use like 7 feet leader for my wacky style with alberto's knot.

12. Member