New 250 v8 rev limiter

Does anyone know what the electronic rev limiter is set at on these motors?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    You are such a serial # Nazi! My serial # is 2b531588 it's a new 250 pro xs.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Maximum WOT RPM's are 6200 on this engine model.

Limiter should not be viewed as a fixed figure, but rather a progressive WINDOW of approximately 300-500 RPM's. Depending on several conditions, RPM's may be limited earlier (or later). Two key factors would be load, and the speed at which RPM's are increasing.

The above presumes that Engine Guardian is not active (if it is, new Available Power Limits will over-ride any of the above).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    What's the engine guardian

6. Member
    Is the Rev limiter adjustable on these motors 250 pro xs 4 stroke . Doesn't matter which propi run mine tops out at 5850 on my Merc monitor

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Engine Guardian is the Protection Programming within the PCM's calibration, which has the ability to limit the engine's Available Power in the event of a fault.

It can limit the available power from 99% all the way down to 3% (Forced Idle Speed). It CANNOT, however, shift to neutral or turn the engine off (it's up to the operator to take those steps).

RPM Limits on these engines are progressive, and are also tied to Engine Guardian. So no, they are not "adjustable".

8. Member
    Thanks for your answers. I was just trying to figure out why some are getting 6000 or better with basically the same set up this is a new motor with only 4 hrs on it so still breaking it in I just thought it was odd that I tried 3 props all fury 3 blade different pitch and top rpm didn't change .

9. Member
    You might need to get a dealer tech to check your motor on the computer to verify that it is achieving 100% WOT.
    ‘17 Bullet 21 SDC ‘20 Merc 300R 1.60 SM 1E081012

10. Member
    Kinda what I was thinking . Thank you

11. Member
    Would any one know: Merc 250 pro xs 4 stroke I have a hot foot the pedal travels to the stopper at 5850 rpm if I let off the pedal at least an inch rpm doesn't change is the linkage traveling to far? Is that a problem ?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skpeter View Post
    Thanks for your answers. I was just trying to figure out why some are getting 6000 or better with basically the same set up this is a new motor with only 4 hrs on it so still breaking it in I just thought it was odd that I tried 3 props all fury 3 blade different pitch and top rpm didn't change .
    Did the speed change ?

13. Member
    Speed did not change at all

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skpeter View Post
    Would any one know: Merc 250 pro xs 4 stroke I have a hot foot the pedal travels to the stopper at 5850 rpm if I let off the pedal at least an inch rpm doesn't change is the linkage traveling to far? Is that a problem ?
    Really cannot "over-travel" on a traditional hotfoot (takes just about every millimeter of throw you can get out of the hotfoot).

15. Member
    OK THANK YOU AGAIN