Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

The drop down and slide hitch...

Bad idea & bad design!

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Oh, that sux ...

3. Banned
    I almost lost the entire boat AND trailer.

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Is there a weld there or did the tubing just give? Rust?

5. Banned
    Tubing split, it’s really thin in this spot. Found a welder at a gas station to fix it, but it’s a 2 hr drive back to home on the same crappy roads. There will be some “pucker” factor heading home.

I noticed that the trailer felt odd and that the boat seemed like it was sitting low. It was dark so I didn’t see when it happened. I should have had the welder put a brace across the top to make it 1 piece.

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Glad it didn't break away totally ... wouldn't have been pretty.

7. Member
    Dang! I’ve owned a few with the retractable tongue but those trailers were used very little so I did not have any problems.

8. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    There was a recall on that...and a fix. Apparently someone dropped the ball on yours!!!!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    There was a recall on that...and a fix. Apparently someone dropped the ball on yours!!!!!
    Lea, how do you tell if the recall was addressed or not? Do you know what the fix was? My trailer is that style too. I will be checking it out for sure.

10. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    What do you mean "was recall addressed?" I had the paperwork from the recall notice I got, and have lost it. It was around 13 yrs ago, and I forget what the exact fix was, I'm sorry to say. Not all hitches required the fix...mine didn't.

Are you asking how to tell if your hitch had the problem and was fixed? I wish I could remember!!!!

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Might reach out to C&O. They were a Champion dealer back then and may have the paperwork.

12. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Good idea, Reggie! I just looked thru all the paperwork in my owner's packet...no luck. One more place I'll check out in garage, but C&O is a great idea.

13. Member
    OMG!!

14. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Thinking back, wasn't there a recall on the swing away tongue? That's the only one I "recall"

Grout, who is the manufacturer on your trailer?

15. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Reggie, I do not remember ever hearing about a recall on the swing-away. Only the drop-down one.

Grout's trailer should be the in-house assembled SC one. (Stratos/Champion)

16. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Reggie, I do not remember ever hearing about a recall on the swing-away. Only the drop-down one.
    Maybe so. I found this, but it does not have the diagram showing how to tell if your trailer was affected. The 615# below was the Stratos/Champ plant in Murfreesboro. I would think that Fishing Holdings should possible have records of the recall, since they bought out Genmar. Did someone say Jason was back at Fishing Holdings / Ranger?

NHTSA Recall 06V206000
    NHTSA Campaign Id 06V206000; Date: Jun. 12, 2006
    If the retractable tongue was not manufactured correctly, the bottom of the top insert could crack in the area of the gap. If the insert cracks with the trailer in service, the tongue could buckle contacting the road surface, which could result in a crash.
    Recalled Vehicles:
    2003 Champion Boat Trailer; 2004 Champion Boat Trailer; 2005 Champion Boat Trailer; 2006 Champion Boat Trailer; 2002 Stratos Boat Trailer; 2003 Stratos Boat Trailer; 2004 Stratos Boat Trailer; 2005 Stratos Boat Trailer; 2006 Stratos Boat Trailer
    Component: Trailer Hitch
    Manufactured by: Genmar Holdings, Inc.
    Affected Units:: 3,608
    Recall Summary:
    Certain boat trailers equipped with a retractable tongue were manufactured incorrectly. The steel frame insert may not have been inserted into the brake actuator housing at the correct distance before the parts were welded together.
    How to Fix:
    Dealers will inspect and repair the trailers as necessary. The recall began on June 22, 2006. Owners may call 615-494-2084 for more information.
    Recall Notes:
    Genmar recall no. Str1. Customers may also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
    Date Owners notified by Manufacturer: Jun 22, 2006

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Thinking back, wasn't there a recall on the swing away tongue? That's the only one I "recall"

Grout, who is the manufacturer on your trailer?

Not sure right now, bound to be the one Lea mentioned since mines a 2005 and her boat is too. Kind of odd, but I stopped at Dairy Queen and the welder was there too! He said bring it to his house and he’d fix it for good. I was scared thinking about pulling it back home with just the welds holding the split, my luck it would split right behind the weld.

A bad day fishing is NOT better than a good day at work!

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Maybe so. I found this, but it does not have the diagram showing how to tell if your trailer was affected. The 615# below was the Stratos/Champ plant in Murfreesboro. I would think that Fishing Holdings should possible have records of the recall, since they bought out Genmar. Did someone say Jason was back at Fishing Holdings / Ranger?

NHTSA Recall 06V206000
    NHTSA Campaign Id 06V206000; Date: Jun. 12, 2006
    If the retractable tongue was not manufactured correctly, the bottom of the top insert could crack in the area of the gap. If the insert cracks with the trailer in service, the tongue could buckle contacting the road surface, which could result in a crash.
    Recalled Vehicles:
    2003 Champion Boat Trailer; 2004 Champion Boat Trailer; 2005 Champion Boat Trailer; 2006 Champion Boat Trailer; 2002 Stratos Boat Trailer; 2003 Stratos Boat Trailer; 2004 Stratos Boat Trailer; 2005 Stratos Boat Trailer; 2006 Stratos Boat Trailer
    Component: Trailer Hitch
    Manufactured by: Genmar Holdings, Inc.
    Affected Units:: 3,608
    Recall Summary:
    Certain boat trailers equipped with a retractable tongue were manufactured incorrectly. The steel frame insert may not have been inserted into the brake actuator housing at the correct distance before the parts were welded together.
    How to Fix:
    Dealers will inspect and repair the trailers as necessary. The recall began on June 22, 2006. Owners may call 615-494-2084 for more information.
    Recall Notes:
    Genmar recall no. Str1. Customers may also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
    Date Owners notified by Manufacturer: Jun 22, 2006

Good find amigo. To answer your question earlier, no rust at all. The split was clean metal.

Everyone who has this hitch please watch it, if it had split 1 more inch, it would have been completely free of the truck possibly killing someone.

19. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Nichol's Marine in Longview, Red Wing Boats in Houston and Marine Express in Midland are the Champion dealers I recall in TX. I'm sure there was probably one in San Antonio & the DFW area, but Someone is bound to have the paperwork that tells you how to to fix it. That's what I'm looking for, so I can post it for everyone. So the big question is ... where you fishing?

2007 they must have gone to the swing away, since the 2006 trailers were included in the recall. Mine has the swing away.

20. Member
    Plano marine is still doing business. The only previous boat dealer that sold Champions in the D/ FW area that is still around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast