Thread: New Boat Covers

New Boat Covers

Just used my boat cover for the first time, and so far im impressed with the new design. Have not done a long haul with it but seems like it will do better then thr previous covers. Any one else use the new covers yet?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

2. Member
    I like mine too. I was worried at first when I mounted the Ultrex (45") on my 2017 z19 but the Dowco cover has the room and I have a port console as well. The fit is great and goes down the road fine.
    That said if I did get the 52" shaft I am not sure the cover would fit at all. During the spring camping, a chipmunk decided to chew a very small hole in it right above the cooler. Little Bast$#@. LOL Nothing I can't fix and definitely not the covers fault.

3. Member
    which cover you have?

I'm not sure the brand, they have been coming with the 2019s. Fits just under the rub rail all the way around has a gas cap flap, vents on top. And a clever buckle to go under the ladder, hooks the the JP u bolts. I'd have to look at what brand it is.

Same as this one:

https://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/i...2/DSCN4924.JPG
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    I was wondering which one you all had, I have the black and WHite one of the 2018 Z19 I just picked up, it has the motor cover built into it

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I'm not sure the brand, they have been coming with the 2019s. Fits just under the rub rail all the way around has a gas cap flap, vents on top. And a clever buckle to go under the ladder, hooks the the JP u bolts. I'd have to look at what brand it is.

Same as this one:

https://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/i...2/DSCN4924.JPG
    This is the one that I have. What's your opinion of the durability for use while towing? Is it durable enough to drive 2 hours at 70 mph?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick2018 View Post
    This is the one that I have. What's your opinion of the durability for use while towing? Is it durable enough to drive 2 hours at 70 mph?
    Well my first impressions is that is is a thinner material then what was used in the past. But I feel like it will do better towing then the past covers. But like stated this was my first time towing with the new cover, and it was a short distance, and all less then 50mph. Time will tell.

It did pass the sky is falling test this week. Had my boat at Bass Pro to install a part, it stayed out side the bay for most of the day, and it rained several inches in the area. The carpet did not get wet inside.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    Thanks. Good to know. I asked because I'm taking my boat to the dealer on Saturday to get the 20 hour service performed (and a few warranty items). Remnants of tropical storm Gordon is heading our way and we're supposed to get a few inches of rain. Dealer is 2 hours away. I think I'll try the cover while hauling it there to see how it performs. I'll let y'all know.

9. Member
    Well I put on my cover today. Looks like I didn’t get the new design. It trailered very well but it did leak a little. Carpet wasn’t soaked though, so I’m content. I’m going to clean it and apply 303 fabric guard. Hopefully that will help next time. Drove 4 hours and it rained fairly hard for 2 of those hours.

Where did you get the water, I have yet to tow in rain. My last cover would let a little water in too but nothing that bad.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

11. Member
    Mainly on the bow. It wasn’t soaked, so it did a pretty good job overall. 100% dry after an hour in the garage with a fan on it. It certainly kept all the road grime off of it!

12. Member
    I would not run a boat cover for more than half an hour over 50mph. The drawcords eventually over time will wear through the gel coat no matter how snug they are. Manufacturer and Bass pro always suggests you do not tow with a cover on for this reason. That said I use mine for short distances on rainy days to the ramp so my boat isn't soaked getting into it. Or on wet road mornings. Beyond that, the cover stays off unless she aint movin' ;)

13. Member
    Mine pulls up over top cap no matter how tight I get it and started tearing by the front buckle going to send it back

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 802spinnerbait View Post
    I would not run a boat cover for more than half an hour over 50mph. The drawcords eventually over time will wear through the gel coat no matter how snug they are. Manufacturer and Bass pro always suggests you do not tow with a cover on for this reason. That said I use mine for short distances on rainy days to the ramp so my boat isn't soaked getting into it. Or on wet road mornings. Beyond that, the cover stays off unless she aint movin' ;)
    False I have pulled my z21 over 5000 miles with the cover on and have zero marks or issues anywhere on the boat from the cover

15. Member
    Bryan,

how easy is the new cover to put on compared to the old dowco? I really never been as ecstatic as everyone else about my dowco... great material but sucks to put on solo and heavy. Plus I think it’s slightly narrow near consoles sides..the back can be troublesome w the ladder...anyways curious about new ones as I know they’re gonna be around a grand as well

So far its easier. Designed to go under the ladder.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team