Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White stuff on shaft of trolling motor

I bought a spare prop for my Minn Kota 24v so I took the old prop off to test fit the new. When I got it off, the shaft and nut and thread had white powdery stuff on it. Ive never seen this before
    and thought Id ask what it might be. There was also a strange white dot on the head of the lower unit as well that seemed to have the same thing.
    Ive had my boat about 3 weeks now and have had it out 6 times, all at the same lake.
    2002 BassCat Cougar

2. Member
    This is electrolysis. Check to see if it is anywhere else on the boat. Motor, Jack plate are the most obvious. If you have a Jump start switch(Peko) Make sure that the switch is in the position where it is disconnected from the troll motor battery. Also the negative jumper wire from the cranking battery should be connected to the last battery called the negative battery and not the 1st battery or positive battery of the the 2 or 3 battery system. See the schematic.

3. Member
    Thanks Bradrodfish I also notice it on the jackplate and near the anode on the motor. I also have the 3 bank charger wired into this with the perko switch and a Merc Motor if some of that makes a difference.
    2002 BassCat Cougar

4. Member
    follow the diagram. With it being a Ranger, I'm guessing the Perko (if it is the jump switch) is wired wrong.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Thanks for the help, I will look at it when I get home from work
    2002 BassCat Cougar

6. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    See the schematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor
    follow the diagram
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX IMPORTANT NOTE to OP XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

txdynna65:

The drawing and description broderfish has provided actually results in the electrolysis.. ......you should not be using it. Black wire of the cranking battery in his drawing is incorrectly connected to battery #2....should be instead connected to negative terminal of battery #1 and will be sharing the black wire to the trolling motor.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 09-05-2018 at 06:15 PM.

7. Member
    Does this look correct?

Attached Images Attached Images
    2002 BassCat Cougar

8. Member
    Your revised drawing correctly shows the needed (black)negative wire connections.

However, the input (RED) to switch position # 2 should not connect from battery #2 , It too should be moved over to be coming from Battery #1's positive terminal. Hence 12volts of battery # 1 can crank the engine when the switch is placed in position #2

The drawing's description also should be revised to refer to Trolling Battery #1 rather using Trolling battery # 2 as being used for emergency cranking the outboard.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 09-05-2018 at 06:55 PM.

9. Member
    I believe I understand what you are saying, I took a picture, not sure if you can tell from it if its wired right or not

2002 BassCat Cougar

10. Member
    Sorry but can't fully confirm not seeing all the connections.

A couple of additional very minor personal preference comments......

like to see battery wiring on flood lead acid batteries positioned and dressed so that the wiring never runs across the battery caps. There the wiring can be in the way of removing caps and checking electrolyte levels and the copper is exposed directly to any escaping acidic gasses from a charging cell.

and also like to see any exposed positive terminals covered with a protector to prevent accidental shorts from a dropped tool or another wire being added or removed.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 09-05-2018 at 11:33 PM.

11. Member
    I didnt figure you would be able to tell anything from the pic. Like I said previously this is a new boat and this is how it came wired to me. I will trace all the wiring and see if I can figure out what is going to what today and cleanup the area.
    I also redid the other pic, see if this is the correct way if you dont mind, and I do appreciate your help.

2002 BassCat Cougar

12. Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post

txdynna65:

The drawing and description broderfish has provided actually results in the electrolysis.. ......you should not be using it. Black wire of the cranking battery in his drawing is incorrectly connected to battery #2....should be instead connected to negative terminal of battery #1 and will be sharing the black wire to the trolling motor.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txdyna65 View Post
    I didnt figure you would be able to tell anything from the pic. Like I said previously this is a new boat and this is how it came wired to me. I will trace all the wiring and see if I can figure out what is going to what today and cleanup the area.
    I also redid the other pic, see if this is the correct way if you dont mind, and I do appreciate your help.

Yes, nice job on the drawing.

Now the negative connected skeg of the outboard is at the same ground as the negative of the trollling motor and so no electrolysis currents will be flowing through the water when the trolling motor is deployed.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post

txdynna65:

good catch, I skimmed the drawing guess I should have taken more time to read it.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

15. Member
    I found this on the inside of my back hatch and took a picture. I traced all the wires and it is indeed hooked up like the picture below. To me it doesnt match the other picture I posted above though.

2002 BassCat Cougar

16. Member
    Well I cant figure out how to edit the above post. After looking at it more carefully, it doesnt match either diagram posted. And to me the diagrams are different
    2002 BassCat Cougar

17. Member
    Looks to me like the diagram you found in your back hatch does match the previous diagram that you edited except that what the hatch diagram calls troll battery 2 the previous diagram calls trolling motor battery 1.

Switch B1 or #1 goes to Cranking Battery + (pos)

Switch B2 or #2 goes to + (pos) of the trolling motor battery that has the - (neg) wire going to the trolling motor

Jumper wire between Cranking Battery - (neg) and the trolling motor battery - (neg) where the - (neg) wire to the trolling motor is hooked up

Then to finish out trolling motor connections the + (pos) wire from the trolling motor is hooked to the + (pos) of the other trolling motor battery

A jumper is attached to the trolling motor battery + (pos) where the wire from the switch is connected and the other end goes to the - (neg) of the other trolling motor battery.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txdyna65 View Post
    Well I cant figure out how to edit the above post. After looking at it more carefully, it doesnt match either diagram posted. And to me the diagrams are different

Other than battery labeled names, where are diagrams different?

19. Member
    I agree with you guys, they were just labeled different and looking at this so many times I was confused lol.
    Sooo if both diagrams are correct, the batteries are hooked up wrong, the only thing I can see hooked up right is the battery charger to both batteries.
    I think what I will do is label each wire for where it comes from, label each battery 1 and 2 and just hook it up like the Ranger diagram shows since its right in front of my face. Funny how I never noticed it before yesterday.
    Does this sound like the thing to do, because it certainly isnt hooked up right.
    2002 BassCat Cougar

20. Member
    Do note that two wires appear to need to be identified and be moved........Both wires must be first disconnected, before either is reconnected

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast