Banned

Bravo 1 Comparison

How does a Bravo 1 compare, performance wise, with a Trophy or a Tempest? Specifically talking pitch here. I was told...a 26 Bravo would spin like a 25 Tempest. I run a worked 26 Tempest, would a 27 Bravo be the one to try?

2. Banned
    I read different results here, but I’ve owned all 3 that you posted and all 3 were in 24” pitch. All 3 ran very close to the same rpms on my motor. Not sure why I’m the oddball...

edit: I have actually run 3 different 24” trophies and one of them runs more like a 26 compared to the other 2 24’s, never been worked either. Also had a 25 Bravo xs and it ran lower rpms than my 25 tempest, which guys here say it’s not supposed to???

3. Member
    Typically a Bravo will run like a 1" lower pitch. But no props are alike, and working them changes them. I've owned around 10 Bravos from 26" to 31" and all performed like performer 4's with 2" less pitch. (A 30 bravo runs like a 28" performer)
    A bravo does like to run higher, and will holeshot much better high than buried.

Ok for me... my 26 bravo 1 actually did out preform my 25tempest+. Some on here said I’d lose 1-2 mpg. But as far WOT I lost nothing. Maybe I’m lucky idk. Stability...it bury’s the tempest. Two guys 3/8 tank,tourney load, 78 water temp, light chop... rock solid bow @70.1 and rising hands off the wheel. Impressive. The only thing is this, hole shot seems a little sluggish compared to a worked 25 Tplus. Also the bravo doesn’t power load the trailer as well as the T plus, but who cares. That’s a matter of dipping bunks a tad more. Nbd I now keep the tempest on board for a spare. It too is a good prop. Just not my front runner. Again this is just my experience.

2013 Z9 250 Pro XS 1B936712
    <'/////>< Tie one on... The knots for life.

5. Banned
    Which Bravo 1 is the desirable one? I see many versions.

6. Member
    For most, it is the Bravo I XS. It has the cut flare and dual PVS holes, making it the most adjustable.

For me, It's the 28P Mercruiser Bravo1 with a full flared barrel and dual PVS holes and worked by Mark Croxton.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I have the XS. Straight out of the box. I’m not working it until I see a loss in orofoemance or it’s damaged. Vent plugs really were a big deal. I took advice from savage and it’s all good now. Love this prop

9. Member

10. Member
    In my experience with all three props mentioned if you are happy with the 26p Tempest Plus and are within 50-200 of your engines max rpm's at wot then you will want a 25p Trophy, or 26p Bravo 1xs.

11. Member
    I have a 25 Tempest Plus and I bought a 25 Bravo1XS. I have talked to other people running the same boat as I am that run a 26 Bravo1XS and they claim they like it but when they shared their numbers with me the heat and humidity with any load killed their rpm. People seem to want to run a higher pitch prop than is needed. My own experience is 24 Fury 3 blade equals a 25 Bravo1XS to keep rpm range.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    I have a 25 Tempest Plus and I bought a 25 Bravo1XS. I have talked to other people running the same boat as I am that run a 26 Bravo1XS and they claim they like it but when they shared their numbers with me the heat and humidity with any load killed their rpm. People seem to want to run a higher pitch prop than is needed. My own experience is 24 Fury 3 blade equals a 25 Bravo1XS to keep rpm range.
    I think most people ,really don't want to buy 2 props .One for summer and one for winter to keep there motor in the RPM range . They just prop it for the winter , and deal with the rpm lose in the summer time .

Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    I think most people ,really don't want to buy 2 props .One for summer and one for winter to keep there motor in the RPM range . They just prop it for the winter , and deal with the rpm lose in the summer time .
    Most people want a spare prop, Or one for every day of the week.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

14. Member
    Yep, my spare prop is 2" less than my fishing prop. I use it for smaller lakes and rough water conditions where I want better boat control at low speeds.

15. Member
    Would you have any interest in swapping the back up Tempest for a Fury 26 ?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    How many props you down to now Mike ....275 .00

17. Banned
    I have a problem, I want all the props.

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    That’s my plan.

From the horses mouth at Mercury Racing Propellers: If you are running a stiff 3 blade like a Fury, go 2 inches up in pitch for the Bravo I XS/FS (they are the same prop...FS is for 4 stroke engines, XS is for 2 stroke). If running a not so stiff 3 blade, go up 1 inch. I was running a 24" SHO and went to a 25" FS, raised the engine .5 inches, RPMs increased by 150 with very little loss in speed, if any. Hole shot is great, mid range acceleration is unreal. Rough water handling is MUCH improved. The new Bravo I XS/FS props are shorter barrels with very little flare. The even pitches are straight from casting. To make the odd pitches, they add cup to the blade. Avoid the .5 inch pitches. So, my 25" FS started life as a 24" and cup was added at the factory to make it a 25". A 25.5" would have more tip cup. From my experience, the Bravo I FS lifts the entire boat a bit more, though not as much stern lift as a fully flared barreled prop.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    From the horses mouth at Mercury Racing Propellers: If you are running a stiff 3 blade like a Fury, go 2 inches up in pitch for the Bravo I XS/FS (they are the same prop...FS is for 4 stroke engines, XS is for 2 stroke). If running a not so stiff 3 blade, go up 1 inch. I was running a 24" SHO and went to a 25" FS, raised the engine .5 inches, RPMs increased by 150 with very little loss in speed, if any. Hole shot is great, mid range acceleration is unreal. Rough water handling is MUCH improved. The new Bravo I XS/FS props are shorter barrels with very little flare. The even pitches are straight from casting. To make the odd pitches, they add cup to the blade. Avoid the .5 inch pitches. So, my 25" FS started life as a 24" and cup was added at the factory to make it a 25". A 25.5" would have more tip cup. From my experience, the Bravo I FS lifts the entire boat a bit more, though not as much stern lift as a fully flared barreled prop.
    Avoid the odd .5" pitches as they are really =1.5" from an even one. Even .5" pitches are OK. (24.5 is OK, 25.5 not OK.)