Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New prop problems

I have a 03 Ranger 521vx. 250 evinrude on it. 1 powerpole blade, 6" hydraulic jackplate. I went from a 13.5 x 25P 4 blade Renegade bass prop. To a 14.5 x 24P 3 blade Raker with vent holes. I wanted more top end speed and to get my rpm's up. I took it out on Saturday. The boat tried jumping right out of the hole, but as soon as it went to level out on plane, it wouldn't go, almost like there was no bite on the water anymore and I would have to stop. I am new to all of this, and I am sure there are proper terms for all these things, but this is my first boat and first attempt at a prop change. The Raker is a used prop, but no dings, marks, or bends in it what so ever. I bought the correct thrust washer and spacer for that prop. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Member
    Prop (motor) might need lowered, or might need more cup. It sounds like it's not biting.
    What were your top speed and RPM's?

Blowout or cavitation - is what happened. Yep - the prop lost it's bite. Often when folks learn to anticipate it blowing out, they can feather the throttle to keep it hooked up or minimize the slip. What you don't know is if the used raker has had a bad repair or the cup has flattened over use. Mark can work the Raker to make it stay hooked up.

4. Member
    JohnJ, I played with jackplate at all different heights. I never got it on plane so I don't know top speed or rpms. That was what I was trying to solve. Because top speed with old prop was 56mph @ 5400 rpms. I was told I should be running around 6k rpms.
    Jstew, I tried feathering throttle, playing with trim as it was trying to go, everything I could think of. I was talking to someone about sending it out. Only thing I am afraid of is spending more money on this prop and not having it be the right one for my situation. But I guess what else can I do at this point? I also heard someone mention the hub possibly slipping. The blowout sounds more like my situation though

5. Member
    The Raker could be bad even though it looks OK. It may have been rebuilt by someone who screwed it up.

6. Member
    I would start with sending it to a prop shop for working it, and they can also check to see if the hub is slipping.
    Another choice would be a 25" Bravo XS with the correct hub. You will probably get more speed and RPM's and a much better hole shot. A Tempest usually works well on Rangers, so a 24" might be right. (Mercury props are better on most setups regardless of motor)

7. Member
    Thanks John, Maybe I will try calling the place and seeing if I can return it. Lose out on the shipping and not waste any more money on it. If not I will give Mark's a call. Then if it still won't work, I will definitely look into one of those props you mentioned. So, if I went with the Bravo, I would be going back to a 4 blade 25", but I should be seeing higher rpm's then my renegade? I didn't do much research on Mercury props. Like I said, I'm new to all of this. What research I did do, I kept seeing Rakers mentioned for my motor. Then my thought was drop a pitch and blade to get rpms up more. I think I was on the right track, except for this blowout problem. I understand all props are different, but I can't afford to keep doing $5-$600+ experiments to find the right one. Now I am nervous about buying used again, if this prop does end up being a bad repair or something like that

8. Member
    Wait you said the Raker had vent holes. Are these PVS holes or just drilled holes? If they are PVS holes plug them or put three small PVS plugs in. What you are experiencing is too much ventilation from the holes causing the blades to lose bite. I suspect your Renegade did not have ventilation holes correct?

9. Member
    The Renegade did not have vent holes.
    There are vent holes in the Raker. I am pretty positive that these aren't PVS holes. From what I understand the holes in the Raker are smaller in diameter and PVS plugs will not fit. I have done some searches on that. Only type of plug I have seen is stainless steel plugs from Home Depot. Obviously not specifically for boating application.

10. Member
    Update! the vent holes are 5/8". I found metal plugs at home depot that fit. They aren't perfect but work for testing purposes. I plugged all 3 holes and took it out last evening. It still wanted to blow out getting on plane, but I was able to feather it and get it going. It wasn't bad, but I don't think it would have worked unless I did feather it. I was on a smaller lake, but big enough to get some speed. I played with the jackplate on different runs. I got it right at 5800-5900 rpms and was at 61 and still slowly climbing before I ran out of lake. I would imagine I still have to get this prop worked or a different one, because if it wants to blowout everytime, with all 3 vents blocked, then it cant be the perfect prop for my deal. Also contrary to what everyone else has told me, it ran better and faster with the jackplate all the way down. I tried it 2 to 4 inches up. Steering was tough and it didnt go any faster.

11. Member
    Only 61 you have something more than just a prop problem. My 04 521 w/merc 250 I can cruise at 61 @ 5000rpm and will run 74 mph at 5900 I'm running a 25 Tempest
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    Bass.man, you were getting 74 with tournament load and normal amount of gas? I hear that from people. I would love to hear from someone with the same setup I have. I can't imagine the difference from a merc to my evinrude is that much of a difference that you're 13 mph faster. I know another prop isn't going to get me 13 more mph either. What other factors can I look at? I have played with the jackplate at all different settings. Everything is good mechanically with the motor. I don't know compression numbers or anything. But I do have a printout at home with all that info when I bought the boat last year. Everything was good. I knew I wasn't buying a speed demon, but I do agree that it should go faster then what it does.

13. Member
    One of the biggest problems you have with your rig is a 6" jack plate. You will never get it to perform at its best with a 6" plate you need to have 10" of off set on that hull. Go to YouTube and see my video. 05 ranger 521vx with 04 Mercury 250xs to see the proper setup. Send me a pm after you watch the video if you need more help with your phone number. Not many people have done extensive testing on a 521vx as I have. In the video mine is running 75.8 gps and you can steer it with two fingers. I have helped numerous people with a 521vx.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonnabe View Post
    One of the biggest problems you have with your rig is a 6" jack plate. You will never get it to perform at its best with a 6" plate you need to have 10" of off set on that hull. Go to YouTube and see my video. 05 ranger 521vx with 04 Mercury 250xs to see the proper setup. Send me a pm after you watch the video if you need more help with your phone number. Not many people have done extensive testing on a 521vx as I have. In the video mine is running 75.8 gps and you can steer it with two fingers. I have helped numerous people with a 521vx.
    Not true at all my 04 is one of the fastest 521's there is and I have always run a 6in bobs plate I have ran in Oct by myself half tank fuel a best with a 26 fury 78.2 Also Ranger does not recommend anything over 6in on that hull.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince521VX View Post
    Bass.man, you were getting 74 with tournament load and normal amount of gas? I hear that from people. I would love to hear from someone with the same setup I have. I can't imagine the difference from a merc to my evinrude is that much of a difference that you're 13 mph faster. I know another prop isn't going to get me 13 more mph either. What other factors can I look at? I have played with the jackplate at all different settings. Everything is good mechanically with the motor. I don't know compression numbers or anything. But I do have a printout at home with all that info when I bought the boat last year. Everything was good. I knew I wasn't buying a speed demon, but I do agree that it should go faster then what it does.
    The 74 is loaded and with 2 powerpoles on clean crisp air days. Nasty muggy days can only do 71 but engine loses 200 rpm's. If you ever come down here on the Potomac River I would be more than happy to look at it. Also a 24 4 blade fury would be a real good prop to try, it creates a whole lot of lift. You may also have a issue with the hull it self.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    bass.man, I hate to ask. What are possible problems with the hull?

17. Member
    What is the title for your YouTube video or channel? I have a new to me 2005 521VX with 2005 250XS. It has a 27p tempest plus but haven’t had much time with it since the LU already blew. The guy I bought it from said it lost about 4mph after adding the gorilla hull and I think the prop is damaged. I also added another battery for 36v trolling motor. Do you think a 26p would be good?
    2006 Ranger 521VX w/ Gorilla Hull
    2005 Mercury 250XS L 0T999348

18. Member
    Haul damage on the running surface or even a bigger problem if the boat was left outside all the time and it is water logged . If so it’s very heavy . That will account for low rpms ,poor top speed and holeshot problems . Does the prop have holes in it , if so start plugging them up one at a time to get hole shot .

19. Member
    Slabslobberer you need a 25" tempest not a 27

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slabslobberer View Post
    What is the title for your YouTube video or channel? I have a new to me 2005 521VX with 2005 250XS. It has a 27p tempest plus but haven’t had much time with it since the LU already blew. The guy I bought it from said it lost about 4mph after adding the gorilla hull and I think the prop is damaged. I also added another battery for 36v trolling motor. Do you think a 26p would be good?
    Your not going to get the speed back to were it was before the Gorilla Hull was applied.
    25P or 26P Tempest plus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast