May have a problem with my 70 hp. Lead wire caught fire.

Everyone,

I was redoing my aluminum boat with hyrdo turf. While I was doing this the bottom of the boat was bare aluminum. I had disconnected some wires from my controls in order to remove the panels to hyrdo turf them. Well I was reinstalling the side panel when I noticed the floor spark. I noticed a burning smell and looked back and saw this Lead wire bring orange and the plastic cover caught on fire. the wire I am referring to is #25. I believe the power block was possibly touching the floor so there was a current. I am unsure why exactly that happened. Also when I removed the cover to that damper, the lead on the damper side was broken. How hard is that to replace. Thanks for your time.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    It's going to be difficult for anyone to help based on the fact you posted a partial schematic for a motor you only described as a 70hp. Yamaha has made a few different 70hp engines over the years. A year and model of the motor would be helpful along with an actual photo of the damage.

3. Member
    That is a ground wire. How did it catch fire?

4. Member
    Sorry I was not more specific. Model is C70TLRY 2 stroke. Looks like the part of the ground wire under the bolt head was already broken when I pulled that cover off. You can tell it was pressed against the motor. Probably when someone was tightening down the nut.

5. Member
    Inspect every wire and reinsulate or replace.

That's a bonding wire.
    Proud Army Dad