Group 24 vs 27 deep cycle battery

I need to replace both my group 27 trolling motor batteries, thinking about going to group 24 since I had to cut the straps off of my current 27's so they would fit in rear. Posted pictures when I converted to 24 v and had a hard time then adding two 12 volt batteries. Anyone using group 24 to power your troller ? If I do I will put in Interstate....
    Thanks for any help..

2. Member
    I run 27's on my trolling motor, havent had any problems running all day. not sure if 24's would have enough if used all day in windy conditions.

Thanks, that's what I'm trying to find out, yes my group 27 have been great but I need to replace them....

4. Joe4d
    batteries will list the amp hour in the specs.. Compare what you had to what you want. Will let you know the percent difference. Noone knows how you fish or for how long. Discharging your batteries more will lead to shorter life. For me ? If I could fit 27's in there I would stay with 27's,, While they cost a bit more I imagine you will by far make up the difference in lifespan.

5. Member
    I would stick with the 27's if I were you. I know it is a tight fit, as you know, but I heeded your advise a couple of years ago and went to 2 27's for my 24v TM. I, at the advice of yourself again, LOL, had to cut the handles off the batteries to get them to fit. I also have Interstate batteries and have gotten along great with them. Probably try to get through next year with them before I replace them.
    2005 PT 185 Special Edition
    60hp Tracker Marine
    80# Minn Kota Terrova
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv
    Garmin Echomap Plus 73cv

Quote Originally Posted by BDPIL View Post
    I would stick with the 27's if I were you. I know it is a tight fit, as you know, but I heeded your advise a couple of years ago and went to 2 27's for my 24v TM. I, at the advice of yourself again, LOL, had to cut the handles off the batteries to get them to fit. I also have Interstate batteries and have gotten along great with them. Probably try to get through next year with them before I replace them.
    Hey Brad, yes my gut says stay with the 27's but just trying to avoid cutting the handles off again... On my current ones I put towels under them to be able to pick up but as you know it's not a straight shot coming out or putting them in, you have to pick up the right side to drop in. It's near impossible for me to do with some back problems I am having, just looking for maybe some alternatives....I have seen a group 27 exide MBC but no one sells them around here, they are 12 inches long with a great handle....

You could do as Iam going to do.

Get a Duracell 24g AGMs. You want run them down on a weekend of 8 hour day fishing. I don’t have a problem with my 24s flooded batteries now. But after getting the 27 agm cranking battery. And how little it draws down on a day for me , compared to the flooded old one. There maintained free with 36 month warranties. It’s how Iam going for now on.

So you get the smaller size with more capacity and more warranty.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    batteries will list the amp hour in the specs.. Compare what you had to what you want. Will let you know the percent difference. Noone knows how you fish or for how long. Discharging your batteries more will lead to shorter life. For me ? If I could fit 27's in there I would stay with 27's,, While they cost a bit more I imagine you will by far make up the difference in lifespan.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    You could do as Iam going to do.

Get a Duracell 24g AGMs. You want run them down on a weekend of 8 hour day fishing. I don’t have a problem with my 24s flooded batteries now. But after getting the 27 agm cranking battery. And how little it draws down on a day for me , compared to the flooded old one. There maintained free with 36 month warranties. It’s how Iam going for now on.

So you get the smaller size with more capacity and more warranty.
    Yes, I read all of your post and the one where you showed a picture of the battery you purchased, might do that but of course more $$, by the way great job on your boat...

10. Member
    Yep totally understand the tight fit. I actually can get my hands in there and turn them up on it’s side and then can get them out but if you hav back issues you will probably need to do something else. Im sure there is a better way.
    60hp Tracker Marine
    80# Minn Kota Terrova
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv
    Garmin Echomap Plus 73cv

You two should really consider doing this. Tank was 300.00 built to specs. Shipped from Florida. Diamond plate 30.00. Some sweat and cussing. But well worth all the other benefits to.

Thats a 27 and two 24s, and there is still 8” between the end of the batteries and the livewell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post

You two should really consider doing this. Tank was 300.00 built to specs. Shipped from Florida. Diamond plate 30.00. Some sweat and cussing. But well worth all the other benefits to.

Thats a 27 and two 24s, and there is still 8” between the end of the batteries and the livewell.
    That maybe something I do down the road but for now Ive got what Ive got. I may do that when I have to replace my carpeting in a few years. Hoping to have a newer boat by then LOL.
    60hp Tracker Marine
    80# Minn Kota Terrova
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv
    Garmin Echomap Plus 73cv

13. Member
    i have 3 31 series in mine, they fit. Kinda tight but not an issue at all, had to cut the factory battery trays to fit is all i had to do
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

Quote Originally Posted by aarchdale View Post
    i have 3 31 series in mine, they fit. Kinda tight but not an issue at all, had to cut the factory battery trays to fit is all i had to do
    Andy, what brand are they and thanks...

Most group 31's are at least 13 inches in length........Tracker had many configurations of gas tanks even in the same year and model..
    Last edited by rtlgator; 09-05-2018 at 04:56 PM.

15. Member
    Mine are Fish Hunters from Ellis Battery, I believe they are just Deka's with Ellis' name on them. I measured and they are 13 inches long
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro