Clear Lake (Steuben county) and Lake George

Does anyone know anything about these two lakes? Might be heading up there this month and never been on either of them...

Thanks in advance!

I have friends that had a house on Clear Lake for a number of years. Fishing can be pretty good, as it doesn't get a ton of pressure. Pleasure boaters and Jet Ski's make it hard to fish in decent weather. Plenty of smallmouth, pike, walleye, and perch. There's a small pond on the other side of the causeway called Round Lake that's full of pads and grass, if you want to go for large mouth. We would typically spend the early morning bite on brownfish, then go to Round once the chaos started on the main lake.

I've fished both quite a bit. Clear lake is crystal clear water. It's a great lake to fish at night. If you have a bluebird day with no wind you might as well write the day off. Topwater and jerkbaits work best. Great trout fishing, smallmouth, largemouth, perch, and bluegill. Big fish, but you need good conditions to get them.

Lake George is a up and down lake. It had the LMBV some years ago that killed a lot of the bass, but it's bounced back. There are some scattered smallmouth in there too. Fish the humps and points this time of year. You will have fun trying to keep the pike off. Real healthy population of pike in that lake.

You may want to try Lavine Lake or Silver lake just down the road from Lake George. Both those lakes are good too. If one isn't producing, maybe hit the others. They are all within 2 miles of each other. Good luck

4. Member
    Thanks fellas! I "might" have a tourney on one of those lakes in a couple weeks. I say "might" because we have 5 lakes on a list, and we won't know which lake till the night before. This lakes are: crooked, james chain, clear, george, and hamilton....I've been on all but clear and george, so honestly I hope one of the others gets drawn! Lol