Tiller Recomendations

I just purchased 40 acres back in early June and would like to start putting in some food plots and I am wanting to purchase a tiller for my tractor. What kind does everybody use? Chain drive or gear?

2. Member
    Most everyone I know uses a disc to break up for plots not a roto tiller. Not saying it would not work but it's not necessary.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    Most everyone I know uses a disc to break up for plots not a roto tiller. Not saying it would not work but it's not necessary.
    Yeah, disk or some other type of harrow is cheaper up front cost and faster to operate but if the soil is compacted or the OP wants to turn under cover crops then the tiller is a good choice.
    To the OP, I don't have enough experience with give a serious first-hand opinion but I don't think it matters too much either way. You aren't going to till the entire acreage, are you?

4. Member
    No, Just wanting to make a few small food plots for deer and doves. This dirt has not been touched in over 30 years.

5. Banned
    If you want to.go the tiller route, go for a Bush Hog, Woods or Land Pride. They are not terribly expensive and you will have parts availability in the future.

6. Member
    I have a relatively cheap 6’ House tiller. It has been a good one. I just check the lube in the gear box prior to starting.

For ground that has not been worked in a long while. I like to use a breaking plow to start.