Thread: Holeshot surge

Banned

Holeshot surge

Anyone have suggestions on a prop that wont surge on takeoff? I have both a bravo xs and hydromotive xob that has been worked for my setup and they both surge bad when I'm loaded heavy. I also own a hydromotive ot that won't surge on take off but a promax prop that will. I've ran a few over hub props like pro et's and performers none of them will surge. Is there anything that can be done to my bravo and xob to stop this?

2. Member
    Does the Bravo have PVS holes drilled in it? If it does plug some holes. Original Pro Max will surge pretty bad unless you put a ring on it to help control the venting, newer ones have PVS holes drilled in them to help this.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Does the Bravo have PVS holes drilled in it? If it does plug some holes. Original Pro Max will surge pretty bad unless you put a ring on it to help control the venting, newer ones have PVS holes drilled in them to help this.
    Bravo has 8 holes in it I've tried different combinations of plugs and can't get the surge out. After talking to some guys yesterday I'm going to send the props off to get tweaked for holeshot.

4. Member
    I also have a Sportmaster and carry a heavy load. The Promax's surge the worst on my setup even with a seal ring but once on plane they are one of my best props. I've had some Bravos that surge and some that don't. This includes stock and mod'd Bravo I's (full flare), and XS's (short tube) with 4 and 8 PVS holes and also 4, 1" holes. I've ran Razors 4, Hydromotive's Q4 OB's, and several others that will surge.
    For me, is seems like props tend to surge more when they have a lot of blade cup. One would think the opposite would be true.

The full over hub exhaust props like the Pro ET 4 and Eagle 4's never surge but spin to 5K on hole shot and are slower to get on plane.

My current best holeshot prop is an older Bravo XS, stock with 4-1" holes, that has no surging at all.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader186S View Post
    I also have a Sportmaster and carry a heavy load. The Promax's surge the worst on my setup even with a seal ring but once on plane they are one of my best props. I've had some Bravos that surge and some that don't. This includes stock and mod'd Bravo I's (full flare), and XS's (short tube) with 4 and 8 PVS holes and also 4, 1" holes. I've ran Razors 4, Hydromotive's Q4 OB's, and several others that will surge.
    For me, is seems like props tend to surge more when they have a lot of blade cup. One would think the opposite would be true.

The full over hub exhaust props like the Pro ET 4 and Eagle 4's never surge but spin to 5K on hole shot and are slower to get on plane.

My current best holeshot prop is an older Bravo XS, stock with 4-1" holes, that has no surging at all.
    My hydromotive ot has almost no cup and don't surge. You might be onto something with that.

6. Member
    Most put four solids in the closest holes to the motor and two medium and two open in the back four.

7. Banned
    I'll try something like that combo and see if it will make a difference. I always plug the rear holes first.