Mariner Magnum 150hp EFI problem

Hey guys! I have a 1996 Mariner Magnum 150 EFI serial # 0G337303 that I'm having a problem with. Lately it's been happening more often too. It will sometimes not want to plane. I will trim it down and get on the throttle and it will rev but sounds kinda "stuck". If I turn it off then turn it back on it will work like normal again. It has a hot foot by the way. Any ideas what I'm dealing with here?
    Troll lightly and carry a big flippin stick!!!

2. Member
    disconnect idle stabilizer , mounted on stb side of block will have connections at switch boxes, red with white strp and white with black strp disconnect it and go run it / they hang up timming
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    disconnect idle stabilizer , mounted on stb side of block will have connections at switch boxes, red with white strp and white with black strp disconnect it and go run it / they hang up timming
    So run it with the stabilizer disconnected? Do I leave it permanently disconnected or put it back after running it? Thanks

4. Member
    I had a mystery problem with a '98 Mariner 200 HP. Finally took it to a local mechanic. He had it for a few weeks working on it when he had time. Finally found that the fuel pressure regulator on top of the VST had some crap piled up in it. Cleaned it out and it ran fine.

5. Member
    Since mine stops doing it when I turn the motor on and off it makes be think it's an electrical issue. But there's no telling with an outboard.

6. Member
    Would this be it? It's on the port side not starboard though.

7. Member
    yep that's it leave it unhooked run it, if prob stops you can discard it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Gotcha! No issues with timing after unhooking it? I've read it can throw it off or something.

9. Member
    that module is for idle timming not max advance

10. Member
    Ok, thank you again. I will try it this weekend.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you're removing the module, I would strongly recommend verifying the timing (complete Sync-n-Link Procedure would be prudent).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you're removing the module, I would strongly recommend verifying the timing (complete Sync-n-Link Procedure would be prudent).
    This is exactly what I had read about. I have no idea how to do that. Would it be better to just replace the module?

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If it were me, I would NOT replace the module. Common problem point and the engine will perform fine without it, IF properly setup/synched.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If it were me, I would NOT replace the module. Common problem point and the engine will perform fine without it, IF properly setup/synched.
    I don't trust my local Marine shop enough to work on this issue and don't know how to do it myself. Not even sure that the module is the issue yet either. While running it today (module still connected) it shut off at wide open throttle. It sputtered like if it was out of fuel and shut off. Then turned right back on and didn't do it again.

15. Member
    You need to buy a Mercury service manual for your motor if you plan on doing the diagnostics and repairs yourself.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    You need to buy a Mercury service manual for your motor if you plan on doing the diagnostics and repairs yourself.
    ^^^^

Contact Rhonda at European Marine to order a service manual, she will need your serial number - If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

17. Member
    Today I found that a spark plug boot was almost completely unplugged. After putting it back on correctly it has been running normal. I'm hoping that's what it was. Still a good idea to get that manual though. Since I do all my own work if I can.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar