Thread: Shad numbers

Shad numbers

Any one else seeing better numbers of Shad? I sure hope they are Shad and not carp.

2. Banned
    Tons of them in the backs of the bays right now, all kinds of bass busting them too. I caught a bunch of bass Friday in those bait balls, but all were 12" to 14" dinks though. You toss a pointer 78 into those shad balls and it's pretty much a guaranteed bite. I'm sure if you cover enough water you might find a school of bass busting that are bigger in size but I sure couldn't find them.

3. Member
    Catching 12-14”ers is good to hear none the less

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikes733 View Post
    Any one else seeing better numbers of Shad? I sure hope they are Shad and not carp.
    Yes sir I saw a lot of bait the other day down south on the main lake and bays, didn’t have much luck though, didn’t see any busting. The ones we seen were definitely gizzard shad!!!

5. bullyfish
    Lots of shad in the lakes best l have seen in the last couple of years

6. Member
    Where are most of the shad located? Main lake or in the bays/creeks?

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberOne View Post
    Where are most of the shad located? Main lake or in the bays/creeks?
    It's been a few days since I've been out there, but last time out the biggest concentrations were in the far far back of the bay like in 3 ft or less. Many shad balls were moving in and out too though, I followed one from the back of the bay to a secondary point and then back to the back again, I was able to pick off several of the bass busting but they were all about 12" to 14" size bass. I'm sure it's changed some since the weather has been unsettled this week.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    It's been a few days since I've been out there, but last time out the biggest concentrations were in the far far back of the bay like in 3 ft or less. Many shad balls were moving in and out too though, I followed one from the back of the bay to a secondary point and then back to the back again, I was able to pick off several of the bass busting but they were all about 12" to 14" size bass. I'm sure it's changed some since the weather has been unsettled this week.

Thanks. Good information.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Yes sir I saw a lot of bait the other day down south on the main lake and bays, didn’t have much luck though, didn’t see any busting. The ones we seen were definitely gizzard shad!!!
    Hoping these shad are not 2 pounders come this winter. Hard to believe they come back this quick.

My wife and was there last week and we saw the most shad in the Little river area on Barkley. They were moving along the creek channel banks and some were all the way back on the flats.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

11. Member
    Going to fish next week and was wondering if you all are still seeing large bait schools on Kentucky Lake?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomxls View Post
    Going to fish next week and was wondering if you all are still seeing large bait schools on Kentucky Lake?
    Thanks
    Probably wont hear much this week. Big tourny going on. Maybe some reports will come out Sunday or Monday... I too am going next week. Everyone is hush hush. Heard it was really tough

13. Member
    Thanks Slim. Yes looking at the results from the Renegade Tourney, the fishing is pretty slow.