Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar

Fat loss, diabetes, what if we're all wrong

Recently, I went down the rabbit hole of Intermittent Fasting. Initially, I started with watching youtube videos of people who tried it, or was doing it, and of course I'm skeptical and borderline thinking these people are crazy or just trying to sell a product. I honestly don't know why I kept looking into it at first. But as I started to watch more videos I became curious. There were some crazy claims that go against almost everything I have ever read or been told about diet. I came across a couple of doctors who were promoting the idea of IF. Still skeptical, I watched an interview of a doctor Jason Fung. My mind was blown by what he is claiming.

I suggest anyone who is overweight, or diabetic look into IF and watch his interviews with an open mind. He also sells a couple of books for those who prefer to read, my wife being one of them who is currently reading his books. But everything can be found online free watching his interviews and seminars. And it's just not him, there are others who have free online info in the form of videos and blogs.

Now I have no idea if any of it is true or works. But I'm a few days into it, using the 16:8 method. 8hr feeding window, then 16hrs of nothing but water and will gradually shrink that feeding window. Surprising, easier than I thought it would be, but we'll see how it goes.

A BRIEF description of some claims, more info and detail found in the books and videos.

-Calories in calories out is not important. If they were, our bodies would have receptors that measured calories and would tell us we're full when we hit our calorie requirement. The amount of calories we need to consume is wrong, whats important is the type of food, nutrient dense foods.
    -Insulin is what makes us Fat. When ever we consume something, other than water, our insulin spikes telling our body to store what we consume, not use it for energy
    - because it is insulin that makes us fat, we are treating Diabetes wrong by giving insulin. Giving insulin only treats a symptom, it makes the body take glucose out of the blood and store into the body making a patient fatter. He is treating diabetic patients with fasting instead of giving insulin with quick results.
    -The worst thing to do is eat 6+- times per day like we have been told to do. We are told to eat throughout the day to keep our metabolism going. More times we eat, the longer our insulin is up throughout the day, therefore we are simply telling our bodies to store everything as fat.
    -Autophagy
    -dramatic increase in HGH
    -dramatic increase in Adrenaline

Again, I have no idea if any of this is true. I have a hard time believing it. Of course I'm going to lose weight if I don't eat, but how will I feel, how will my workouts suffer, will my strength decrease? I'll post my progress and problems I run into. And would love to hear others thoughts on it, and anyone who has tried it.
    Thanos was the hero

2. Member
    Any update?