USA Kitty has Rough Idle and Bogs on Holeshot

Hello All,

2010 BassCat Puma FTD DC
    2010 Mercury Pro Xs 250 (ser# 1B764965) (app. 700 hours)

Awesome boat, have had it for a few years now, 80mph with a lot of chine walk, lol. Recently though, the engine has been missing a bit while idling in gear and bogging pretty bad when trying to get out the hole. It always eventually gets out but something is obviously not right. I am the second owner, the previous owner was a pro, and I have all the records for any service that was ever done to the boat (meticulous guy). I have a service manual and am somewhat familiar with engines. So with that said here is what I have done so far:

1. Changed plug wires
    2. Changed plugs/gapped correctly (multiple times and plugs always look pretty uniform (brownish/tan tint) without any carbon buildup)
    3. Changed fuel filter
    4. Sprayed power tune in cylinders and let set over night.
    5. Flushed motor and changed thermostats.
    6. Water pressure is good on gauge, strong tell tale stream.
    7. Temp is 130 (doesn't fluctuate much )
    8. Fuel pressures (psi): running-107, 5 sec-100, 10 sec-97, 15 sec-93, 20 sec-89, 30 sec-82, 40 sec-80, 50 sec-76, 60 sec-72, gradually drops small amount after that.
    9. Air pressure (psi): running-92, 5 sec-88, 10 sec-85, 15 sec-83, 20 sec-81, stayed at 81.
    10. Compression: 1-112, 2-110, 3-110, 4-110, 5-110, 6-110
    11. Pressure at VST: 27 psi
    12. Changed compressor strainer.
    13. Rebuilt pulse fuel pump.
    14. New primer bulb and all fuel lines. (Primer bulb stays pretty tight)
    15. New vented gas caps (from BassCat)
    16. Pulled red fuel injectors. Checked O-rings and sprayed with power clean, re-installed.
    17. Verified spark on all six wires with timing light.
    18. Have one new coil and been moving it around in an attempt to catch an intermittent coil failure, no luck, plugs always look the same and runs the same.
    19. New Exide 31 AGM with stud mount type connectors that Don recommends.
    20. Resistance of injectors is 2.0-2.1- Specs are 1.9 but that is probably my digital meter off. All are the same.
    21. TPS ohms good
    22. Checked for fuel in air leaks by removing the air rail connection from both rails and running the fuel pump. No drips.
    23. New belt and belt tensioner.

That's about all I can remember, lol. Been doing this over the past couple of months. Once it gets on plane it runs like it always did. I plan on sending the 12 injectors off and having them tested and cleaned. I am leaning towards the reeds. I haven't pulled the intake and plenum off yet, figured I would inspect and replace at the same time. I have a brand new set from Chris Carson and am going to install them when I get the time. With 700 hours on the stock ones I'm sure its time whether that is my problem or not. Looking down the butterfly there does seem to be a bit of DFI oil in the bottom of the plenum. Can't really say if I hear a "puffing or wheezing" as these optimax engines sound odd from the start. Always run Don's cocktail!

Any and all comments or ideas from you guys are greatly appreciated. This is my first time posting a thread on here but have been an avid reader/researcher for years.

Thanks!!!!

Forgot to add:

Smartcraft gauges (the ones with needle and digital readout [+ mode - buttons]), never has thrown any kind of alarm, always run non-ethanol fuel and DFI.

Recently went from a 26p Fury 3 blade to a 25p Fury 4 blade. Chasing the problem!

2. Banned
    Interesting post.
    How does the motor run at other speeds?
    Does the motor run well when decelerating/accelerating?
    The more information you can provide the better the information you will receive.
    I will be interested to see what the cause is.

Might take and put this info in the mercury forum and see what kind of ideas Don has for you

Could be a bad tracker valve....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

If the other suggestions are not accurate,

Reed Plate in intake
    A bad fuel diaphrams at cylinder (6)

6. Member
    Thanks Luke, I did post in Merc forum also.

7. Member
    Yes D-wayne, once it is up it runs like a BassCat should, lol. Neck breaking acceleration and 6000+ rpm. I hit 77 the other day and was still picking up speed! My nerve isn't capable of handling full speed.

Thanks

8. Member
    And yes, replacing reeds are next, I will update.

9. Member
    I don't believe I saw this in your list of things you changed but mine old Ranger Z20 had thr exact same symptoms yours does. I changed out everything I could think of and even sent to every mechanic who could not find anything wrong. One day a guy on here said his mechanic in Florida saw this happened in Mercury's and he changed the LOW PRESSURE FUEL PUMP (inside the VST) and his problems went away for good. I figured I've spent $3k chasing a problem what's another $500. Well I changed that fuel pump and man she ran strong for a whole year. Till it started doing it again and I replaced the fuel pump again and it would run fib for a year. May want to look into that. There's a video on YouTube how to replace the fuel pump on the pro xs. It's a 150 hp but the same thing on a 225/250.
    2019 Ranger Z520c
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS

10. Member
    Thank you Bassmaster2003! Will look into it.

11. Member
    BassMaster2003, is it the boost pump you replaced?