“The Vault” hubs......... dang it!!!!

Under the back of the boat recently and noticed major grease slung all over the inside of my wheel. I’m not sure if you guys have had similar issues, but anyone replaced these before? Under warranty? I can do this type of work, but YouTube isn’t helpful on the removal of the hub. Considering going to a zerk fitting type, and I hate how the “Warranty” has been with this trailers previous issue. (Leaf spring) Any advice or suggestions would be fantastic, the time to start driving 50-100 miles and hitting the lakes is close and I need to get this taken care of.
    Thanks, Terry

2. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    I just redid mine on my trailer
    Not really anything special about changing the seal

4. Moderator
    You must have been in my garage taking pictures! I have one leaking and two others that are wet with seepage. Not looking forward to rebuilding them. Might do them this weekend if I can get the stuff in time.

5. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Well crap, I'm afraid to look!

6. Member
    If you have to buy parts, and it's not under warranty, it's rather expensive. I wanted to go the regular bearing buddy route, but ended up just throwing new vault caps back on. We'll see how long it lasts.
    2011 Phoenix 719 ProXP/225 ProXS

7. Member
    Mine were easy to redo, trailer place in Indianapolis is the main distribution center and they had everything I needed instock and in my driveway in a couple days. Think it was called waymire

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gotmy5 View Post
    Mine were easy to redo, trailer place in Indianapolis is the main distribution center and they had everything I needed instock and in my driveway in a couple days. Think it was called waymire
    That was my main problem! Vault wouldn't sell me the stuff I needed, and their "dealer" in the Fort Worth area, didn't even have the parts listed in their system. So I ended up having to order online and wait a week to get them haha.
    2011 Phoenix 719 ProXP/225 ProXS

Just found my rear right axle the exact same way. After jacking up and taking the wheel off you can rock the rotor/hub back and forth a little and it's rough turning. Bearings shot. Have had the trailer since April.

10. Member
    Call 1-800-854-1905 for Warranty replacement parts. They are very easy to deal with. I have had to deal with either them or Marine Master Trailers on my last 3 boats.
    Phoenix 2021 721 ProXP
    250 V8 ProXS

11. Member
    It's not a bad job once you get all the correct parts. Be sure and replace the ring/sleeve that the seal rides on. Follow directions on filling with hybrid grease and you will be fine.

Who made the trailer? Shouldn’t they be issuing the new parts?
    97 TR21 99 225EFI S/N OG885575

13. Member
    Think all the boat companies are having a time with the UFP/Dexter Axle brake and hup components. Dexter Axle has been buying up their competitors in the trailer components business. They rule the school now. Bunch of cheap Chinese parts are now how they have to pay for the companies they bought.

14. Member
    Thought I’d follow up....

I spoke with a couple of gentleman from a local boat service shop (Boatmasters) about my issue . He stated that the rear seal, which is what failed on my trailer, fails mainly because of my rotor getting too hot. So I investigated the brakes. No Bueno. My reservoir was nearly dry. So, I order the parts needed. Did the replacement to the bearings, all good right? No. I filled the reservoir, bled the brakes on the same side I had the wheel off, it was later in the day, so I decided not to push it and I would bleed the other side another day, I mean I fixed right?
    Well, after a couple of days I decided to bleed the other side, pulled the boat out(this side is against the wall in the garage) went to the fitting with my wrench, it was damp????? Odd. I hadn’t had the boat out. So I proceeded to go to the reservoir, almost dry ��. NOW WHAT?? I took a closer look, thinking the tubing came loose or something on that side. I discovered yes, and no. I removed the brake line, and as I loosened it the line would pull in and out a lot. The very end of my brake line, the flared end, was broken. As if it had been cut off. Ok, I can do this. Called O’Reilly(Auto Parts Store) and asked to buy a flaring kit. Discovered these places will “rent” one for free. (Credit Card Deposit) Took it home, did the repair in like 10 minutes, put it back together, bled the system again and all is good. So after it was all said and done, I believe a couple of things happened.
    First, my brake line had broke in the caliper causing me to loose my brake fluid.
    Then, at some point my brakes didn’t release or something, causing my rotor to get hot and cause my rear seal to fail “vomiting” grease all over.
    I am thankful to be a little mechanically inclined, (thanks Dad) but really I believe anyone can do this. I didn’t need anything special that I couldn’t “rent” (flaring kit) and it’s just greasy. I HATE grease. Couple pairs of rubber gloves and good soap works wonders. So I know this is a long post, but I think a lot of us neglect our trailer maintenance, I know I did. But I really think it can only be beneficial to at the least understand how your trailer braking system works. I’m glad I caught mine when I did. Instead of watching fishing videos all the time, throw in a couple of informative trailer ones. I’m sure it will help you down the road and inevitably save you some $$$$ to buy more fishing stuff we don’t need. Good luck

Terry

Good investigative work. And I’m guilty of trailer neglect I think my leaf spring had been broken since May. Good thing is I worked so much June - end of September I didn’t fish. Probably towed twice before I put two and two together. The brake on the side the spring broke looks just like yours. Parts on order.

Glad ya got it taken care of.
    Last edited by TX721; 09-22-2018 at 04:38 PM.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP