Thread: Prop rattle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prop rattle

I have a 150 option a basscat Sabre. At very low idle I hear what I think is prop rattle. I am using the flo torq II hub. I am using a 24 bravo xs prop. As soon as I bump the throttle the rattle goes away. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to whiten it down?? Changing the trim doesn’t help. Thanks

2. Member
    What torque specification are you tightening the prop nut to?

3. Member
    100 ft lbs

4. Member
    A few things to check:
    Is prop on tight?
    Is hub in correct and not damaged?
    Is thrush washer installed correct and not worn?

5. Member
    I just replaced the plastic piece with another one I had and double checked the thrust washer. I retorqued to 100 ft lbs. I will say it didn’t appear to be that tight when I backed the nut off. Hopefully this will fix it.

6. Member
    Does it have the coned washer in the front of the Delron sleeve?

7. Member
    I have a 2015 mercury 75 hp with a flo torq ll and had the rattle at idle and in reverese. I replaced the hub with one of the flo torq lll hubs and the rattle went away. The rattle started when I put a stainless prop on everything was fine with the aluminum prop.

8. Member
    Me too
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    I have a 2015 mercury 75 hp with a flo torq ll and had the rattle at idle and in reverese. I replaced the hub with one of the flo torq lll hubs and the rattle went away. The rattle started when I put a stainless prop on everything was fine with the aluminum prop.

9. Member
    It has the thrust washer, then the piece that goes in the delron sleeve, the Delron sleeve, the piece that drops in the sleeve to engage it, and the nut and washer with lock tabs

10. Member
    I have tried to study up on flo torq III and IV but can’t figure out if they will fit a 150 opti ??

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yandeltx View Post
    I have tried to study up on flo torq III and IV but can’t figure out if they will fit a 150 opti ??
    They may not have one for the 150 I am not sure. It was a lot of work to figure out which one would work for my 75hp motor and the 835257k 9 which on the box reads for 90-115 works fine on my motor.

12. Member
    I am going to try a flow torq IV. I will let everyone know the results.

13. Member
    Installed the flow torq IV and the rattle is no longer.

14. Member
    I had a similar issue but I thought the rattle was my lower unit but it ended up being a loose cowling latch that need tighten up

15. Member
    Im dealing with this on a 150 yamaha, tempest plus prop, any links on what has been done?

16. Member
    The OP has a Mercury motor, so a different hub kit was used. Your Yamaha won't use the same exact kit.

17. BBC SPONSOR
    The sound you are hearing is typically the weight of the SS prop causing the clutch dog to "bounce" off of the dogs on the forward gear. If you can raise the engine RPM to about 1200 and the sound goes away that is all that this is and it will not hurt anything. Aluminum props don't weigh as much so you don't hear them as much.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rothwell Marine View Post
    The sound you are hearing is typically the weight of the SS prop causing the clutch dog to "bounce" off of the dogs on the forward gear. If you can raise the engine RPM to about 1200 and the sound goes away that is all that this is and it will not hurt anything. Aluminum props don't weigh as much so you don't hear them as much.
    It goes away at 1200

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkt1 View Post
    Im dealing with this on a 150 yamaha, tempest plus prop, any links on what has been done?
    I had the same setup on a previous boat, 98 Yamaha 150. I used the flo torq 3 kit and the rattle went away. My understanding was that it wouldn't hurt anything, but it drove me crazy! I read that they fixed it on newer models but I don't know what year the fix was implemented.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yandeltx View Post
    100 ft lbs
    Thats too much, unless your motor is special the proper tourgue is 55ft lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast