Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

How important is a specific dock shooting rod?

Most brands of rods have a specific model designed for shooting docks. I fish with several people who just use regular rods for the technique. Im very new to shooting docks and wondering if I would be better to buy a designated rod?

2. Member
    First, I have very few docks to shoot, but I do use the technique a lot to shoot under the one dock, but mostly low branches, and tight spots in brish, etc. I also use it in open water esp against the wind to cast where I want. I used the same BPS MicroLite rods that I used for casting, mostly the 6' one as I did much better than with the 7' er. Difference in the rod action even tho both are labeled fast. Then I got a WM SpeedShooter in 7' and have never looked back. I find it better. The POWER is M/L and the action truly is FAST. I really like it. Actually, I think it has the backbone to do some lite worming for green carp, etc. My accuracy is more consistent with this rod. Others will have some favorites, too and good ones.

3. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    First, I have very few docks to shoot, but I do use the technique a lot to shoot under the one dock, but mostly low branches, and tight spots in brish, etc. I also use it in open water esp against the wind to cast where I want. I used the same BPS MicroLite rods that I used for casting, mostly the 6' one as I did much better than with the 7' er. Difference in the rod action even tho both are labeled fast. Then I got a WM SpeedShooter in 7' and have never looked back. I find it better. The POWER is M/L and the action truly is FAST. I really like it. Actually, I think it has the backbone to do some lite worming for green carp, etc. My accuracy is more consistent with this rod. Others will have some favorites, too and good ones.
    I think we are going back and forth helping each other about rods!!! We have thousands of docks to shoot on one near by lake. Thanks for the input!

4. T Dub
    Regular rods will work fine. I used 7ft Berkley lightning rods before switching to actual shooter rods and never had a problem.

5. Member
    I was sure thinking about getting the 7 ft. WM Speedshooter soon. Glad you mentioned it.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by akaslyguy View Post
    I was sure thinking about getting the 7 ft. WM Speedshooter soon. Glad you mentioned it.
    If we were closer I would let you take mine around the block just so you'd know.