Thread: Lake Istokpoga

Lake Istokpoga

checked the weather and Garcia looks like a bust. Probably fish Istokpoga instead, anyone have any luck lately?

2. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    No word on bite, but saw on facebook (couple days ago) a picture of 3 poison boats headin out to spray it..

3. Member
    I live 3 min from the lake and have given up on it. Unreal how they liked that place! Headed to Okeechobee tomorrow myself.
    Troll lightly and carry a big flippin stick!!!

4. Member
    I appreciate the input. I’m pretty sure the poison boats are loose on just about every lake in Florida right now. I’m gonna take my chances because it’s mh first time heading up there

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFL_BASSIN View Post
    I appreciate the input. I’m pretty sure the poison boats are loose on just about every lake in Florida right now. I’m gonna take my chances because it’s mh first time heading up there
    Do yourself a favor and start by Henderson's cove where the 3 canals exit into the main lake. Hollow body frogs and chatterbaits early one. Then flip a 5-6" senko around. Also, the shade from the Cypress trees on the East side is good when it gets hot out.

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Let us know how your fishing trip was. I’m in Pasco County and 2 of my 3 local small lake ramps are no longer available to me...properties got sold, so I’m going to have to branch out and make some longer drives.

I havent fished Istokpoga in 15 years and would really like to hear how it is. Thanks and good luck!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Let us know how your fishing trip was. I’m in Pasco County and 2 of my 3 local small lake ramps are no longer available to me...properties got sold, so I’m going to have to branch out and make some longer drives.

I havent fished Istokpoga in 15 years and would really like to hear how it is. Thanks and good luck!
    Only one fish over about 4 hours. Black blue swim jig around the pads and sawgrass in between the two southwestern islands. Water was a little sporty and wind was blowing 20ish so we were trying to stay hidden. Didn’t see LuistLTZ’s post or we’d havw tried that. Lake has potential for me. I’m from Fort Lauderdale area and we were having bad storms so I still wanted to fish. Kinda a long drive for me otherwise.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFL_BASSIN View Post
    Only one fish over about 4 hours. Black blue swim jig around the pads and sawgrass in between the two southwestern islands. Water was a little sporty and wind was blowing 20ish so we were trying to stay hidden. Didn’t see LuistLTZ’s post or we’d havw tried that. Lake has potential for me. I’m from Fort Lauderdale area and we were having bad storms so I still wanted to fish. Kinda a long drive for me otherwise.
    Sounds about as rough as my day on the Big O! The waves were unreal out there. To think I moved to Lake Placid years ago to be close to istokpoga. Back when it was the best lake in the area. I'm experimenting with offshore structure on Placid now. Not my style but seems to be the only real shot at a good day right now.
    You would be way better off stopping by the stick Marsh area or Okeechobee being from Ft Lauderdale.

9. Member
    Yeah I thought about going to Garcia becuase it’s only an hour and 45 but the weather was supposed to be bad. I fish the glades religiously but the water has been so high and the current so strong, it just hasn’t been worth it lately.

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Well you didn’t get skunked! This last weekend wasn’t the best for the fish, I’m guessing the barometric pressure was all over the board with that tropical system going by. It seems to me that we are back into a normal summer wind pattern. I’ve had winds out of the S-SW all summer, not the normal east to west winds that I’m used to.

Now that the winds seem to be normal, the hurricane season started pretty quickly! Now, maybe I can start finding fish instead of getting 1/hour like the rest of the summer has been. I’ve had a bad 6-8 weeks when it comes to bass, they’re not liking me right now. Thanks for the report.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Well you didn’t get skunked! This last weekend wasn’t the best for the fish, I’m guessing the barometric pressure was all over the board with that tropical system going by. It seems to me that we are back into a normal summer wind pattern. I’ve had winds out of the S-SW all summer, not the normal east to west winds that I’m used to.

Now that the winds seem to be normal, the hurricane season started pretty quickly! Now, maybe I can start finding fish instead of getting 1/hour like the rest of the summer has been. I’ve had a bad 6-8 weeks when it comes to bass, they’re not liking me right now. Thanks for the report.
    You're not the only one man! I've had a horrible fishing year so far. Headed back out tomorrow to try again. Can't decide between Okee or placid.

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Good luck, I went and picked my boat up from the house I keep it at, left the cover on, (never towed with the cover on) because it looked like hell around me. My 15 min drive took 35 min and it poured...glad I left the cover on! I got her home and plugged the Noco in, charged in 15 min as usual. Put all my rigged poles in the front seat, tackle in the back and will meet my brother at a local private lake at 5:30.

I have some things tied on ive literally never used, got a few 360GT search baits, got a couple whopper ploppers but mostly I got some new jerkbaits including a Rapala twitching mullet. It’s a saltwater bait but sure as heck looks like a small bluegill or shiner to me! Put some #6 Gamakatsu trebles on it and she looks good.

Im hell bent on breaking this bad luck streak tomorrow! Good luck to you!

13. Member
    I struck out fishing offshore last weekend. Found lots of good brush and structure but no bites. Headed back to Okee Sunday.

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    In my little local lake we had a decent topwater bite on Sunday, my brother and I landed 4-5 each during the 30 min topwater bite. The water was very high which made me think the bass would be in the flooded shore cover...they weren’t.

We each got another 5-7 in the boat by floating over eel grass that was in about 8-10’ of water and the eel grass was about 4’ under the surface. I was trying jerkbaits, a baby brush hog, Christie Craw, bladed jig, Zoom vibe worm...and all but one fish came off a KVD 2.5.

At at least we landed some fish, maybe this thing is turning around?? I really want to go to a larger body of water. I was told Lake Hamilton is hot right now, gonna try to get there!

Good luck, Chris.

15. Member
    Thinking of going back to poga this weekend. Okee hasn't been producing squat for me lately either. Might as well save the gas and the longer drive.