Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TR21Bassin View Post
    The previous champions rule is a bunch of BS. If you can't beat the guys winning you shouldn't have to put a rule in place to keep them from fishing. You just need to pull up your pants and practice more, bet better or stay at home.
    How do practice more on KY lake when you're from Massachusetts, Kansas, New Jersey etc? It's advertised as a national tournament trail so the classic should have been moved to a different state every year and all this would have been avoided. Locals winning every year against guys that live 12+ hours away isn't cool for those traveling that far.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    How do practice more on KY lake when you're from Massachusetts, Kansas, New Jersey etc? It's advertised as a national tournament trail so the classic should have been moved to a different state every year and all this would have been avoided. Locals winning every year against guys that live 12+ hours away isn't cool for those traveling that far.
    Local or semi-local advantage will always be there regardless where an event is held. "Locals" will drive further if need to be to qualify to fish on their home body of water for large prizes. Anglers have to get their start somewhere and typically that's lakes closer to home and sometimes the opportunity knocks to fish a big tourney on your home lake. Local advantage even occurs in the sport's top circuits, look how guys excel when tourneys are scheduled close to home. It's unavoidable and just the nature of the sport.

However, rotating the venue does help level things as a whole and allow the classic to be held on a body of water that is closer or more similar to what an angler is used to, even when traveling. But even then, look to the guys that put time in on that body of water regularly to hoist the trophy at the end in any weekend amateur tourney.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

3. Member
    GREAT IDEA TO CHANGE THE VENUE! DON'T SEE A REASON TO DQ THE 3 TIMES WINNERS. USA BASSIN IS GREAT CIRCUIT TO FISH.

4. Member
    I agree with what is being said, no matter where u put the classic u are going to have people that know the lake well and will cause the same issues as Ky Lake has. Nobody can blame local anglers for fishing their home lake. U had numerous divisions on Barkley with local sticks fishing. U move the classic to Chic and u will have the same thing, u may not have a division on chic but i can garranntee ya that the closest division to Chic will have a increase of memberships and anglers starting next season. I like the change of venue just to mix things up but i dont think keeping local sticks away will happen. There is always going to be anglers with a edge on whatever lake u put the classic on. U just have to put more practice in or decide if u want to play the game or not. U have to remember all these local sticks have to qualify through the regional which raises my next topic i highly disagree with. Ive fished several regionals where ive wintnessed teams fishing the regionals for the money and didnt care about the classic. I know USA has never had a problem getting enough boats at the classic, but it sucks knowing u are there to try and qualify and alot of teams are there for the regional money and dont plan on going to the classic so it knocks a team out that is there for the purpose of trying to qualify. Im not saying at every regional this happens but ive experienced this at several. In certain areas the regional is alot of teams classic tourney and they dont care about going to the Ranger Classic.

5. Joe4d
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    Local or semi-local advantage will always be there regardless where an event is held. "Locals" will drive further if need to be to qualify to fish on their home body of water for large prizes. Anglers have to get their start somewhere and typically that's lakes closer to home and sometimes the opportunity knocks to fish a big tourney on your home lake. Local advantage even occurs in the sport's top circuits, look how guys excel when tourneys are scheduled close to home. It's unavoidable and just the nature of the sport.

However, rotating the venue does help level things as a whole and allow the classic to be held on a body of water that is closer or more similar to what an angler is used to, even when traveling. But even then, look to the guys that put time in on that body of water regularly to hoist the trophy at the end in any weekend amateur tourney.
    They are only rotating it around the same region. Why on earth would anyone out side that region bother to fish this tour ?
    Should just call it TVA Bassn, or KY area Bassin. Looks like they have multiple regions and advertise it as a national event,, but seems like they are FOS. Should be in a different region every year.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    They are only rotating it around the same region. Why on earth would anyone out side that region bother to fish this tour ?
    Should just call it TVA Bassn, or KY area Bassin. Looks like they have multiple regions and advertise it as a national event,, but seems like they are FOS. Should be in a different region every year.

I think the fact that its pretty centralized in the eastern part of the US draws a lot of the appeal. You have people that come from up north and down south to fish it. You move the classic to the northeast or southeast and the classic would likely lose many boats. Im sure theyll lose some boats because they moved to Chick even though its likely a much better fishery that KY/Barkley at the moment just because people were familiar with going to those lakes.
    They aint got hands, set the hook

7. Member
    Im pumped thatvthey moved it to chick, i think the rule of cant win 3 is totally bs.

I agree with moving the Classic every few years but I do not like the win 3 in 10 years and you have to wait to be eligible again. I understand the move as a business but as a fisherman I do not agree with it. I will continue to fish the circuit and looking forward to going to Chick in the spring. My wife and I just got back from the Co-ed Classic at Barkley and it was very well ran tourney and good people to fish with.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

9. Joe4d
    How many boats does the final get ?
    I used to Fish MBA (now ABA) , they moved all over for finals tended to get 250 boats or so back in the 90's

10. Member
    The Aluminum cup 240 ish
    Ranger cup 220 ish
    Lucas oil 170 ish

I noticed the 3 time classic Champs that caused the uproar are registered for the regional this Sunday here in Indiana. I'm curious to see how they do up here. No I'm not saying they started or caused anything by their winning, nothing negative against them, USA BASSIN made the schedule not them.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    I noticed the 3 time classic Champs that caused the uproar are registered for the regional this Sunday here in Indiana. I'm curious to see how they do up here. No I'm not saying they started or caused anything by their winning, nothing negative against them, USA BASSIN made the schedule not them.

Isnt one or maybe both of them from indiana? I may be wrong but i think thats the case. They play by the rules and are flat out better on ky lake than the rest of us, i dont get the discontent with them.
    They aint got hands, set the hook

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Isnt one or maybe both of them from indiana? I may be wrong but i think thats the case. They play by the rules and are flat out better on ky lake than the rest of us, i dont get the discontent with them.
    Both are from IN. Good guys. Have simply put in their time learning the lake and how to get the big bites. They drive there to fish every opportunity they have rather than fishing locally in effort to further their knowledge.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    Both are from IN. Good guys. Have simply put in their time learning the lake and how to get the big bites. They drive there to fish every opportunity they have rather than fishing locally in effort to further their knowledge.
    Exactly. Both live in and are from Indiana. They do well fishing tournaments up here as well. Kenny has had great success fishing with Kevin, they make a great team. Kenny has also won a couple of boats in other team circuits with Marty Sisk, Bass World Sports.

15. Member
    so how did they determine which fisherman they wanted to be a part of the rule change
    discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by TR21Bassin View Post
    USA Bassin turned me off a few years ago when the field was set for the classic based on the regionals then we get to the classic and there are 30-40 additional boats. Where did these come from, we asked and could never get a straight answer. They've always seemed like a fishy, pardon the pun, organization to me.
    Division directors are permitted to buy into the Classic field as many cannot be real competitive in their respective divisions due to the amount of time/effort which is demanded of them to run a successful division.. i.e. last boat out, return early to set up weigh in, etc..
    When one takes into account the entire number of directors in the organization compared to the number who chose to take that route to the classic, the percentage is not very high.

17. Banned
    For those that think Heckel and Meunier are just good on KY Lake, they finished 3rd at Monroe last weekend in the USA Bassin Regional. These guys put the time in to compete just about anywhere.

18. Member
    Just fish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12