Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trolling motor Noise on New Hilex 10 DI

Guys I am at the end of my rope, frustrated and confused.

Johnson out doors owns both Minn kota and Humming Bird and for the life of me i don't understand why they can get them to work to gather out of the box.

I just replaced a 857 DI on the bow of my boat, I have a 24v Minn kota fortrex with the universal 2d transducer, (I have never been able to use the built-in transducer due to noise)
    Trolling motor power runs down the left side of the boat and is the only thing connected to the TM Battery's. HB power runs down the right side of the boat and is connected to the starting Battery.

I had been reading some of the forums so I did not connect my network yet, the only thing connected is the power and the transducer, I even left the transducer cable free at the top of the TM Shaft so i could keep it away from the power cables for the TM.

All i get is noise when i start the trolling Motor.

I have installed the Noise Chock from Humming bird, I have eve ran a ground wire from the TM battery Ground to the fin on the TM case and still nothing but noise.

Am i going crazy what am i missing????

Thanks much

RFI is not unique to Humminbird and Minnkota or it is to Humminbird and Motor Guide, or Lowrance and Minnkota, or Lowrance and Motor Guide, or Garmin and Minnkota, etc.

No one can know ahead of time if your particular installation will or will not experience RFI. It is entirely random in the frequency it affects and its severity.

A trolling motor internal sonar transducer does not do any Imaging if any kind and definitely not the standard 2D frequency of 455 kHz that a DI unit has.

You will have to go through the process of experimenting with possible RFI remedies just like everyone else has since transducers were first put on trolling motors "way back when".
    At a minimum you start with the proper transducer for a trolling motor application, a trolling motor PUCK. Did you do that?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    I am using the new transducer that cam with the Helix 10 is their a better one?

Quote Originally Posted by dmherron View Post
    I am using the new transducer that cam with the Helix 10 is their a better one?
    There are trolling motor PUCK versions of DI transducers. They have extra internal shielding for that application. They need no additional mount, they come stainless steel hose clamps.
    There are two versions for a regular DI unit:
    XTM 9 DI 25 T is tuned to the same 2D frequencies as the transom transducer.
    XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T is tuned to 83/200 kHz 2D.

There is a trolling motor PUCK version for the MEGA DI unit also---XTM 9 MDI T.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Thanks much I will look into get a puck.

6. Member
    Call HB and discuss swapping your transom xdcr for the trolling motor puck. I swapped mine and got the tm puck in one week.

7. Member
    Had the same problem, tried everything I read on here. Only thing that worked was connecting a wire from negative on starting battery to negative on trolling battery. Sounds weird I know but it worked on mine.

8. Member
    I will try, as well am at the end of my rope, I isolated everything did the figure 8 with all extra wiring, went to the lake today with transducer cable not attached to the TM shaft, still gett noise. Took the transducer off of the TM and just hung over the side of the boat in the water and worked great, I have ordered a puck but this is getting crazy

Check for a damaged/out of balance prop, bent prop shaft, and worn brushes.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Thought about that took the prop off and still does it.

11. Member
    TM is less than 1 year old

12. Member
    Did also find out with TM about 100% it goes away. That tells me it’s noise from the digital speed control on the TM

13. Banned
    About DI SI NOISE
    Has anyone tried using a shield plate wrapped around the trolling motor where the transducer is?
    Nothing special, a thin sheet of lead lined tin???
    Wouldn't that shield the EMF pulsing from the Troling Motor Windings?
    If this works or is feasible does anyone know of a craft or hoby store or even a computer store that sells a paper sheet sized piece?

14. Joe4d
    Something like this maybe ? tape made for RFI/EMP shielding.
    https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...-6-1183&v=1067

15. Member
    What worked for me was wiring the graphs to a separate battery and single bank charger.
    At the same time I wound my trolling motor ethernet cable around a ferrite ring.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakjr View Post
    What worked for me was wiring the graphs to a separate battery and single bank charger.
    At the same time I wound my trolling motor ethernet cable around a ferrite ring.
    You wound your ethernet cable around a ferrite ring?

17. Member
    XTM 9 MDI T fixed this s issue

I have this same issue on helix 10 di chirp g2n... trying a bunch of different stuff. will continue to follow thread and try some of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by RevoElite7 View Post
    I have this same issue on helix 10 di chirp g2n... trying a bunch of different stuff. will continue to follow thread and try some of these things.
    What transducer are you using and where is it mounted?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    What transducer are you using and where is it mounted?
    im using the one it came with. mounted on fortrex 112. i checked fuse in fortrex head.. installed ground wire..made sure tm power wires are not touching HB cables. also my on board charger is only 3 bank.. so cranking is not sharing charger..as many stated that could be issue.

i see a few people are suggesting a new transducer.. does HB swap for free? one thing to note.. i dont have the MEGA model
    Last edited by MagicCraw; 09-07-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast