X19 175 SHO prop selection

Hi Everybody, First post. Just picked up my 2019 X19 with the 175 SHO. The motor is now broken in enough to run flat out for a little bit, so I decided to see what I could get out of her.

I am running the standard Power Tech prop and an Atlas hydraulic jack plate. With the engine trimmed up and the jackplate set at what looks like 4", I got 56.8 at 5400 RPM (GPS). That is with me alone (260 lbs), tackle, and a little over 1/2 tank of gas. Hole shot is decent. It seemed to me that there is a lot more power, its just not being distributed to the water.

Pretty dismal for a tin boat with a big engine. I had an Xpress H56S back in 1997 with a Yamaha 115 that would GPS at 55 all day long.

I looked at the Xpress tech bulletin and it references a specific Yamaha performance prop. I was wondering if that is my best option or what else is out there.

Thanks, Jack

2. Member
    I have a 6" plate set at 3.5 PTP with a 23p Turbo prop. 63.5 gps. But does start to walk bad and have to come out of it. Wish I had a 10" plate.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

3. Member
    You did not list your prop pitch but you should be turning the 175 SHO at least 6000 rpms.

4. Member
    First thing to do is ditch the PT prop. Yamaha props are hard to come by. You might be able to get on a waiting list for one. Meantime there are several props that people have proven will work. I'm running a Tempest Plus 23P on my 175 SHO X-19. 6" manual jack plate. With this combination you can start out at 3.5" prop to pad and go from there. I need to come up more on mine to fine tune. Currently running 61 mph gps. I may get another couple mph's but I believe I can get it to ride a bit better. It's a shame they are sending these boats with a prop that runs as bad as they do. It's just not a match for this hull. Just an fyi I tried running my jack plate up and down with the PT prop that came on mine with no improvement. As soon as I put that Tempest Plus on I gained 7 mph. Good luck!
    2018 Express X19 Yamaha 175 VMAX SHO

5. Member
    Yamaha liked Turbo props so much they bought the company. Just sayin'.

And yes I ditched my PT and now run a Turbo 1 with more speed, lift, and bite in turns.

6. Member
    Hey Guys, Thank you for the help. The Power Tech that came with the boat is a 23 Pitch. I told the salesman that I wanted the Yamaha prop but he didn't put it on the purchase order so I didn't get it. My neighbor works at a Yamaha dealership and he may be able to get one for me. Those things are expensive!! Yeah, these boats are beautiful and very well made. I just got rid of a Ranger aluminum with a 115 Mercury that was a total hunk of junk. The hull split on me and they would not fix it under warranty - blamed it on me, somehow....and all the fittings were cheap. It was a real nightmare. Spent all summer in the shop with one thing or another. So glad I went back to Xpress. Just need to get this prop sorted out.

Thanks, Jack

7. Member
    My dealer exchange me even on my prop.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasfishin2 View Post
    My dealer exchange me even on my prop.
    Thanks that would be great. It would save me a pile of money!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fish Jack View Post
    I am running the standard Power Tech prop
    What PT prop is it? I bought a 2005 X19 two months ago and have been getting it set up. I am learning as I go. All I heard was Powertechs are junk except the TR04 which is a Trophy copy. Mine came with the 23 pitch TR04. I am now at 4 inches PTP with the 6" plate. I ran 64.7 (GPS) @ 5900 RPMs last week riding solo lightly loaded to fish, and the boat handles great. I am loving the TR04. I suspect you have a different Powertech though.
    2005 Xpress X19 Tournament Series Dual Console
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

10. Member
    This prop is what came on my boat. It was a $200 upcharge for stainless. Would only turn 5400 rpm at 54 mph. They ordered a fxp turbo 23 pitch when I ordered the boat. They gave me $200 credit on trade and charged me $240 for the turbo prop when it arrived last week. Boat runs 61 at 6000 with new prop and cup added.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 x19 175 SHO 12” Bobs jack plate

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinTN View Post
    What PT prop is it? I bought a 2005 X19 two months ago and have been getting it set up. I am learning as I go. All I heard was Powertechs are junk except the TR04 which is a Trophy copy. Mine came with the 23 pitch TR04. I am now at 4 inches PTP with the 6" plate. I ran 64.7 (GPS) @ 5900 RPMs last week riding solo lightly loaded to fish, and the boat handles great. I am loving the TR04. I suspect you have a different Powertech though.
    Thanks for the info. That looks like the same prop that is on my boat. I am still waiting for my neighbor to track down the Yamaha prop. If he can't find it, I will probably go with the Mercury Tempest Plus 23 Pitch. We have a local prop shop that is pretty good, so I may stop by there for a consultation before doing anything. Jack

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessxpress View Post
    This prop is what came on my boat. It was a $200 upcharge for stainless. Would only turn 5400 rpm at 54 mph. They ordered a fxp turbo 23 pitch when I ordered the boat. They gave me $200 credit on trade and charged me $240 for the turbo prop when it arrived last week. Boat runs 61 at 6000 with new prop and cup added.
    Huge improvement

13. Member
    anyone try a fury prop?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmagnum View Post
    anyone try a fury prop?
    I was thinking of that but I had a Fury and a Tempest Plus on my last boat (Stratos 294 XL w/200 Optimax) and I thought the Tempest Plus was a better prop. I tried our local prop shop and the guy sold me a Yamaha Saltwater II 21P prop that he swore would give me 6-8 more MPH over the PT. Anyway, yeah it revved up the engine but that was it. I went back and he tried to convince me to try another Yamaha prop in 17P. I'm like these guys are crazy! After a lengthy "discourse" they refunded my money. So, I'm still looking for a prop. I think the Tempest Plus is the way to go though the TR04 is intriguing. Jack

15. Member
    anybody running x19 with 10 jack plate, and what prop are you running , 2020 sho 175

The fury 4 is a very good prop on my x19 with 200. It ran better than the bravo or tempest. Give the mercury props a try- youll find one youll love

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

17. Member
    I've got an 07 X19 with an 07 150 VMAX and I have hit 60.2 mph (gps) with 2 people and a fishing load running 5450 rpms with temps in high 50s (outside temp) and 60.1 (gps) by myself and fishing load at 5750 rpms. in mid 60s (outside temp). Both times I have ran a 23M prop and no jackplate. I may be mistaken but I am pretty sure the carb 150 vmaxes like I have put out a little more than 150 hp so I think its closer to 165ish hp.
    2007 Xpress X19
    2013 Mercury 200 Pro XS

18. Member
    I have a 2019 X19 with a 175 SHO, Single 12' talon, and 10" Atlas. First prop I had was an OFX23P from powertech that came with it. Holeshot was decent and by myself with 3/4 tank I could do 60 at 5800rpms, but the cornering was terrible even with the jackplate all the way down. Sent the OFX to powertech to exchange for a different prop. In the meantime I ordered a TRO423P from Powertech to try while I waited for the replacement prop. With that prop me, my brother(530 pounds of passengers), and 3/4 tank of fuel we hit 58 at 5500rpms, but the holeshot was absolutely terrible. It cornered great and lifted the load well, but I couldn't handle that slow of a holeshot. Returned that prop for credit, and through the Powertech swap program decided to go with the same prop just a pitch down. I had a 23 tempest plus on my last boat which I have heard is a good prop for this boat, but the best I have gotten is 61mph at 5900 rpm with just me and a half tank on a 600 acre lake with no current. I want to set my boat up to run best for tournament load and the first time I got to put the tempest to the test was about 4 weeks ago on the upper Mississippi. 470 pounds of passengers full tank. Up river 55 mph at 5200 rpms, down river 3/4-7/8 tank and a livewell full of dinks 60 mph at 5600-5700rpms. Trying to get to more in the 5600 range up river and 6000 range down river. Been waiting on the TRO4 22pitch for 6 weeks now so we'll see how that does. I've also heard of guys running the VMX22p getting real good speeds on a full load.