Thread: Rub rail screws

Rub rail screws

How tight are my rub rail screws apost to be. If I tighten them down it leaves a divot. How tight we they apost to be.

2. Member
    I don’t know the actual torque spec but just snug enough so they don’t show on the insert should be ok unless they are already beyond that.

3. Member
    Just till the suck the rub rail up to the hull. To right and they will go thru some rub rails. Put some 3m 4200 on them and they wont ever back out

Make sure not to use 5200....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Make sure not to use 5200....
    Why not 5200?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopGun21x View Post
    Why not 5200?
    Its VERY permanent. You probably couldn't get the screws out if you ever need to

7. Member
    Ask Basscat. Rub rail screws are so 1950's. I got em in my boat but they are such limited engineering. They are guaranteed to get loose due to the job they do in anything but a pond boat.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Ask Basscat. Rub rail screws are so 1950's. I got em in my boat but they are such limited engineering. They are guaranteed to get loose due to the job they do in anything but a pond boat.
    Does Basscat even use any screws? On their build videos I know they say the cap is fiberglassed to the hull and it's made to never come apart.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    Does Basscat even use any screws? On their build videos I know they say the cap is fiberglassed to the hull and it's made to never come apart.
    Far as I know they do not use them. I have a Stratos at this time, it's a nice boat. I owned two Basscats in the past, nicer boats, just too short for me.

Well the more you use your boat in rough water and long rides down the road the more you will use a small impact and a rubber mallet.

Charger glues/ glasses a piece of oak the length of the boat. Rubrail screws go into the oak. I have had 3 Chargers and none of them have had screws loosen up.