?? DropShot Rod ??

Which of these 2 rods would be better? (Depth of 20' or less-1/4 oz. or less)
    Same brand rods.

1 (6'10 M Extra fast 5-12 lb. 1/16-3/8 oz.)

2 (7' M Fast 6-14 lb. 1/8-3/4 oz.)
    Last edited by basfish; 08-31-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    Always Think Like A Fish.....No Matter How Weird it Is!!

For me, second. First one could be too light, plus I like a longer rod. Only advantage of the first over the second to me is the extra fast rating, and even then it's tough to make a comparison unless they're from the same rod manufacturer. Even then, comparing across lines within a brand can be risky.

But if you're really always fishing 1/4 or less and don't like a longer rod, maybe the first. The lower end of the weight rating wouldn't worry me on the second as even fishing with a lighter-than-1/8 oz weight, the weight of your bait will add to the total weight of the lure. It seems that a shorter rod is better for dropping on them, while a longer rod is better for casting them. I also like a longer rod for controlling a hooked fish on light line. Even a couple extra inches in length can add a significant amount of control.

FWIW, my drop shot rod is rated 1/8-1/2, has an extra fast action, and is 7'3"
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Other than the slightly lighter max lure weight, Rod 1 has the same "specs" as the dropshot rod every other one tries to be - the NRX 822S DSR
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Member
    First one for sure. The ratings of the second one at 3/4 oz max is more in line with a normal MH rod. Example Loomis MBR 843 maxes out at 3/4 and is a MH.

5. Member
    Telling us what brand and model the rods are would help tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Telling us what brand and model the rods are would help tremendously.
    The brand was omitted on purpose, So I would not get brand loyalty responses.

7. Member
    The way I see it is ..... the first one is a drop shot rod ....... the second one is a shaky head rod

8. Banned
    Dobyns champion 702 is a great drop shot rod. Just throwing that out there.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    The way I see it is ..... the first one is a drop shot rod ....... the second one is a shaky head rod
    This

10. Member
    Megabass Addermine.....

11. Member
    First one all day long. Dropshot is the only technique where I think XF really shines. Casting distance on 2" longer or shorter is minimal. There's a reason the majority of DS rods are XF and 6'9" or 6'10". Just better for that technique day in day out. There are times when a longer rod might have some advantage but I can't think of a DS scenario where F is better than XF.

One of the best DS blanks that I know of is the old Shikari P7000. To hold one you might think that it was a more moderate blank but when you really flex it and feel it the tip was "hinged" is the best way to describe it. Basically an XF tip on a Moderate Fast 3/4. That tip loads up in a way that you can tell but the fish can't.

12. Member
    Of those 2, the 6' 10" is probably the best bet. I really like a mod/fast rod for dropshot though. My current favorite is 6'10" Medium Mod/fast. A really light hook and a moderate/fast rod is a match made in smallmouth heaven. I use to use a faster rod, but lost too many fish. Moving to something more parabolic has increased my landing percentage. I don't fish around much cover at all, so once it's hooked I just play them out with some light drag. If I were fishing for largies in cover, it may be a different story. Like Sly and the Family Stone say, different strokes for different folks.

Quote Originally Posted by basfish View Post
    Which of these 2 rods would be better? (Depth of 20' or less-1/4 oz. or less)
    Same brand rods.

1 (6'10 M Extra fast 5-12 lb. 1/16-3/8 oz.)

2 (7' M Fast 6-14 lb. 1/8-3/4 oz.)

Do you fish off the front of the boat or side?
    100% dedicated to dropshot or will it see a little split service?
    What size line do you usually run?

Thanks guys....I went with the 6'10 M Extra fast 5-12 lb. 1/16-3/8 oz. and am happy with it.