Getting burned on a deal...

On another fishing resource website, of which many of you also probably frequent, I purchased a Megabass FMJ that was listed as new (it was) and paid the seller his asking price as he said he had health issues and needed to sell some equipment at that point. I didn't need the rod but I figured helping out a person with medical/health issues is the right thing to do so I bought it. I used a check (yes I know I should have and use PayPal) but I mailed the check to his elderly father since he said he was going in for stents to be placed in his heart and his father was handling funds at this point. The check was cashed and the rod arrived...broken in the rod tube. I rejected it from USPS, contacted him, and he said he would send it in for warranty replacement and mail me the new rod once the broken one returned back to him. Communication was great both as the broken rod went back, when it was sent to Megabass, and when it was begin returned to him new from the factory. He told me the rod was then mailed to me but provided no tracking number, was very short in his words, and at that point, (June 26), I haven't heard from him. I have called, texted, emailed, and done everything I can aside from drive to Mississippi to knock on the door. I think/know that I got taken. He has my money and a brand new rod. Do I have any recourse? It's been two months and I have been very patient because I do hope he is doing well healthwise. I had someone contact one of his family members on Facebook who said he was just fine and not having health issues but there is no direct contact with him. How could someone mess around with the karma of having a health issue and then burn someone trying to help? Any help on what do you would be great. Thanks and best wishes on the water.

2. Member
    That is unfortunate. Some people are just not honest. Don’t think his intentions were scamming you up front. Reason being is that after he received payment you did receive a rod even if broken. How do we know he received a replacement? This was not a Megabass issue rather a shipping issue. MB only replaces broken rods sold from authoritied dealers and not those broken bought 2nd hand. I am guessing like most of us have experienced the post office denied his claim. And did not cover his rod. Therefore he did not have a rod to ship to you and likely didn’t want to spend $400 to get a new one. Yea, in a perfect world he would refund you the money and take a loss on the rod.

I would be willing to bet that is what happened by his lack of communication. I mean sure they could have sent him a new rod by I don’t see how this is a Megabass claim for warranty at all.

3. Joe4d
    as the transaction went through mail, talk to the post office about reporting him for postal fraud. But guy could also have died or in bad shape and has bigger issues. Have u tried contacting the father ?

4. Member
    I know this isn't what you're wanting to hear, but I would just let this one go and take the lesson to never do anything but paypal again. There's just not much you can do.

5. Member
    Sucks for sure. I didn't read anything about if the rod tube was damaged or not and if was in the MB sleeve?

6. Member
    The rod arrived to me broken in the tube. One cap was missing from the tube, the rod was still in the Megabass bag but about 6" of tip was snapped. I sent it back as he told me not to file a claim with the post office and that he would take care of it (if I filed a claim, they take possession of the rod and I would only get money back...and he assured me that I would get the replacement FMJ back). I had tracking of the broken rod back to him. He showed me the email where he contacted Megabass and where they said they were sending him a replacement. He even provided the tracking from Megabass to him so I knew when it arrived to him. He then said he was just going to replace his name on the label with mine and send it to me. He said it went out but didn't provide tracking and that was the last time I heard from him. He is from McComb, MS so I am not sure what to do.

7. Member
    This is a weird one indeed- I'm the guy Big Bass mentioned about contacting his relatives. I dealt with this individual as well on several (4-5) transactions earlier this summer. Lots and lots of communication- emails, text, phone calls. No problems at all. He did go into the hospital and even then, he was texting and had his wife ship stuff. Always 2nd day air, always packed very well. We did briefly talk about Big Bass's rod and the ensuing fiasco. I got the impression he was doing the right thing. I was a little confused as to why Megabass would warranty the rod, but figured, hey, great customer service.

I was about to buy a different rod from him- I had my finger on the PayPal button- and then on June 26th, he just disappeared. I've texted, emailed, called. Nothing. I really don't think this was a malicious act- sometimes things happen beyond our control. I hope this gets resolved but sadly may not.

8. Member
    Wonder if maybe his health issues took a turn for the worst, very worst ?

9. Member
    Come on now, you should have known better than that!
    Troll lightly and carry a big flippin stick!!!

10. Member
    Better than what?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Bass1 View Post
    Better than what?
    Mailing a check. You don't have any recourse unless you canceled the check. Always use paypal when dealing with the unknown.

12. Member
    Tried to cancel the check but it was already cashed. That was back on June 7th. Nothing to this point as far as the rod. It is just too bad I got burned on this rod. It would be awesome to be fishing it right now.