Help with a 189 vlo with 150 Pro XS

I've got a 2012 189 vlo with a 150 Pro XS. The boat came with a 23 pitch Laser II but I know there are better props out there. If running WOT it will turn 5800 with 2 people, empty wells, 3/4 fuel, and fishing gear. The best speed so far has been 60, but most times right at 57 to 58. My question is could I turn a 24 Tempest Plus or should I stick with a 23 Tempest Plus. Also is there a better prop to run.

I'm sure some guys running the same boat will come around but you should go to the Stratos boat link and see what others with this rig are doing. My guess is a 23 Tempest will get you 63 GPS or so.

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/stratos1.htm
    Last edited by tdt91; 08-30-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

3. Member
    I've checked and only see very limited data. One shows 60 mph but nothing about setup, prop, etc. Another shows the same set up as mine (6" plate) and 63.5 mph with a 23 Tempest at 3.5" below pad. Does 63.5 mph seem right with a 23 Tempest? I don't expect miracles with a 150hp but just want to get full potential. If I could hit 63.5 with 2 people, fishing gear, and 1/2 to 3/4 fuel I have a Skeeter friend that would lose his mind LOL. Surely someone out there has these 189's figured out. Anxiously awaiting responses.

I do think if your motor is right and you do some testing with different heights on the JP that you can get the 62-63 with a good Tempest. I'd buy new or if used send it to Croxton for a checkup and balance to make sure its right. It wouldn't hurt to make sure the motor is in top condition as well.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

I could see a 23 Tempest doing 63.5 with a finely tuned prop to pad height, a prop that was balanced and blueprinted,a LIGHT load,cool weather and a light chop on the water. I could also see THE EXACT SAME boat being 57 max with two bubbas, livewell full, bass pro shop in the storage compartment, with hot and humid weather...lots of variable effect speed.

Example my boat is similar to what you are describing. My max GPS history speed is 64.94. I have only seen that once but I did do it. I can regularly turn 62 by myself but when loaded in the heat of summer I am doing good to hit 60...when people talk about speed take into consideration there is TONS of variables that affect speed.

6. Member
    Thanks for he replies, TDT91 I'm going tomorrow to get (hopefully) a used Tempest 23 like new and the motor is in great shape and routinely serviced. JR19 thanks for the reply. I really wouldn't call the load light but it is normal and not overly heavy. I have also moved weight around to help out. I'm about 215lbs and my buddy is 165lbs. After all the labor day traffic I'll be doing some testing for sure. Also JR19, It's good to hear from local KY guys. I'm just down the road in Pulaski.

There is a picture of my boat in my profile. I fish the lower end of Cumberland about 10 times a year and spend the rest of my time on Green with a few trips to Barren. If you see my out stop and say hello.