New Verado Feedback?

Anyone out there actually ran one of the new Versdos and can provide some feedback? I’m a longtime Verado user (4000+ hours) and would like to hear any comparison as far as noise (I’m assuming quieter), vibration, hole shot, operation at low idle speeds, general impressions, etc. The only reports I’ve seen are actually Mercury promos.

I understand the extensive new product variations in all their 4 stroke models and all the boat to boat variables. Just looking for real feedback on the new one. Maximizing top end speed is not at all important to me but low speed handling/noise (trolling speeds) are critical. Looks like the new Verado is still the preferred engine when the time comes.

2. Member
    Im in the twin cities and have a 250 pro on my 520C Ranger. Im not sure how new your asking about but mines a 13 and with a few exceptions, I couldnt be happier. Performance has been right on par with everything else I have owned and been in. Its probably a couple of mph slower but given the correct prop, I think things would be extremely close in top end performance with low end going to the Verado, but thats just seat of the pants feel. I just had to repair my shift actuator. Merc has known of this problem and they wont seem to fix it. Besides that the motor has been running great. If you havent been in a boat with a Verado, you have to do it. It really is the bees knees. Its so quiet, often times you dont know its running. Its really an enjoyable motor to own. Im selling my boat this fall if your looking. Im going to a little bigger boat with a Verado. Hope this helps. G

3. Member
    Thanks for the feedback Kingpin. I myself have a 2005 250 Verado and love it. I’m specifically looking for anything on the brand new V8 Verado design, released May 2018. It’s a considerably different engine design than the original Verado and I’d love to hear an honest comparison. I like the larger volume engine and elimination of the supercharger on paper but haven’t seen any real world reports yet.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably won't be seeing a lot of those in the bassboat market... perhaps in offshore fishing, though.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

The new V8 is about the same at idle & quieter while running. The V8 does have more vibration than the L6 Verado

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    The new V8 is about the same at idle & quieter while running. The V8 does have more vibration than the L6 Verado
    Be sure you are comparing two VERADO models on this one- both engines should be on the AMS (Advanced Midsection). The mount setup on this midsection makes a BIG difference in terms of vibration (as compared to the CMS (Conventional MidSection) models.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member

Verado owner

I own a 2016 250 Verado Pro on a Z20 Nitro. I love the motor so far. I've got 175 hrs on it with no problems at all. upper smooth, quite and I feel just as fast as a 2 stroke XS. Low and mid range is great. Hole shot is fantastic compared to my old Pro xs 250. If I have one complaint it about fuel mileage or lack of. It likes gas. It's not bad if you keep it around 4000 rpm but open it up and watch the gauge go down. That's my only complaint.

And mercury really should have came up with new names like zerodo and Optimus...
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Member
    I agree considering the significant design changes across all models. Amazing how confused the costumer base is now.

I’d assume most of the new Verado V8’s are going on saltwater, multi-species, and pontoons. Plenty of ppl on BBC that don’t own conventional bass boats.