2001 Triton TR20

Going to look at a mint condition 2001 Champion 196 in the morning but came across a loaded out redone TR20 for the same price. The TR20 has new carpet and seats (2 years old) Dual poles, and a new powerhead with 1hr. What can yall tell me about this boat compared to the champ?

Thanks

2. Member
    It already sounds like a better deal. I would check into who did the rebuild and be sure they are reputable. Should be a fast hull and good design.

3. Member
    Both good fishing boats. The Champ has a wider front deck and will have a 200 max HP rating. The TR20, I believe got 225 HP rated in 2001. It will run circles around the Champ on top end, but will require a lot more driver input. The Champ will ride a little better and you can drive it with your knee. As stated above, find out who did the rebuild and what they are calling a "rebuild". Take a ride in both and see which one suits you better.

4. Member
    I’m kind of biased but I believe you will like the TR20 better. Your situation sounds very similar to mine when I bought my boat years ago. The Champion seemed very cramped when seated at the helm and between consoles. And I am average size. I have been very pleased with my Triton and the TR series are fast. Good luck!
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

5. Member
    I would but the one thats the lightest.

6. Member
    I will give my input...

i just came from a 98, champion 203 with a 225 opti. My uncle gave it to me 5 years ago, and just randomly decided he wanted it back to start bass fishing again... so I took my electronics and talons off it, and gave it back...

that boat was amazing. It ran 74mph light loaded, and 70 tournament loaded... but I had it set up to be a runner on top end. During rough conditions, I never once got out ran by another boat. That boat was cake to drive... I wanted another champion, bad... I looked at a few and they were all beat, and I could not drive 1000+ miles at that point to get one that I wanted.. so I looked at some skeeters and tritons as well.

i ended up buying a 01 tr-20 with a 225 EFI. It has a hydrolic jackplate on it, 101 maxim pro trolling motor, more storage, smaller front deck, bigger rear deck, and I put my 3 hds units on it and my 12’ talons.

sitting still, it does fish better, but that’s about it. Build quality is not there compared to the champion. Handling is not there, smooth ride is not there. It’s a “loud” ride... and what I mean by that, is the wave “slap” is loud. Champion is silent. I have just started playing with props setting the tr-20 up. I haven’t done a top end run yet, but I can tell it is going to be faster then the champion.

i do not think my triton is a bad boat, I just don’t think it can be compared to a champion of the same size. You’d really hafto spend time in both to know exactly what I am talking about... however, you can go wrong either way. Everyone is different.
    Last edited by 98 Elite203; 09-02-2018 at 09:09 PM.