Thumbs Up Rod tie down semi-mod

check out the angle buddy gross has his rod tie downs at. I saw that and it hit me like a ton of bricks , some of my Rods on my Basscat pantera are trapped under the trolling motor cable and never lay straight and sometimes the trolling motor stabilizer will land on the rods. So angling the rod tie down can help relocate the rods to clear the troll and make space on deck for a 2nd angler. No more kicking or sliding rods back, they’re already ready to go and get strapped. Also, notice when you open your rod locker and your rods are under a tie down that is screwed down on deck and not on the rod locker don’t you notice that’s a pain in the butt? I feel if you just relocate the hook on part to the rod locker hatch than your rods will lift with your locker vs scissoring and only allowing you to open it up halfway. Btw I am talking about angling the tie down the opposite way that buddy had it.

2. Member
    A related tip...Bryan Thrift says first thing he does in a new boat is move the anchor point a few inches toward center to accommodate more rigs.

Tim

Not sure how much the angle of the strap buys you. But I definitely like having the anchor point on the lid... allows me to open the lid even with rods strapped down.
    I use soft nylon web secured with machine screws, nyloc nuts and finish washers on the edge of the lid for anchors. No firm hardware exposed on deck to trip or kneel on.

Another tip is to relocate the gas struts from the aft-edge of the rod locker lid, to the leading edge. Not having the strut in the way in the back makes getting longer rod butts in/out much easier!
    That is one of those obvious "why the heck doesn't every boat builder realize these things are in the way?" questions.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Not sure how much the angle of the strap buys you. But I definitely like having the anchor point on the lid... allows me to open the lid even with rods strapped down.
    I use soft nylon web secured with machine screws, nyloc nuts and finish washers on the edge of the lid for anchors. No firm hardware exposed on deck to trip or kneel on.

I really like how you have your straps and webbing on your boat. Did you put this all in yourself? If so where did you buy your straps (looks like they are retractable)? Also the webbing idea is great. What kind of webbing and where did you get it? I would appreciate any help if possible. Thanks in advance.

Bill Reynolds gets all the credit for coming up with the retractable bungee concept. I just modified to make a stainless grommet/nut since I had access to the backside of the gunwale on my boat.
    The webbing is 1" nylon strap - available at most sewing centers. Melt the screw holes through the web with a hot nail to prevent fraying.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=785291

This thread has a link to Bill's PDF instructions on Amazon cloud:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=865709

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Bill Reynolds gets all the credit for coming up with the retractable bungee concept. I just modified to make a stainless grommet/nut since I had access to the backside of the gunwale on my boat.
    The webbing is 1" nylon strap - available at most sewing centers. Melt the screw holes through the web with a hot nail to prevent fraying.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=785291

This thread has a link to Bill's PDF instructions on Amazon cloud:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=865709
    Thank You for all the help and the links.