Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teadow1972 View Post
    Here in AR the AGFC does s great job....................... The only issue I have as of late is we have a fee to pay now for hosting bass tournaments? I think this is ridiculous IMO. I mean if we are allowed a certain creel limit to take home then why should we pay additional fees to just weigh them and return to lake? We already purchased the license, we purchsed the tags and registration and pay to use the ramp and dock fee. Only stupid thing I have an issue with.
    It's amazing isn't it, you can gut hook all you want with live bait and take home 5 or more if you hide them, but catch and release you gotta pay more. In the local area they recently made it a law you have to get a permit to have a tournament even a club tournament. Right now, it's free but of course you just know they'll charge for it in the future "to cover the cost of checking to see if you have a permit".

2. Member
    I've only seen the game and parks officers at a lake 2 times. Both were just sitting in their trucks drinking coffee. Nebraska puts zero effort into maintaining quality fishing here. Now Iowa is a different story been checked several times. All the officers were very polite one even told me why I was not catching fish and put me onto a good pattern. They take evasive species very serious. Have seen them checking every boat after a tournament to ensure drain plugs are removed and live wells are empty. They never did ask to see any fishing licenses though.
    John the Garage Doorman

3. Banned
    In my area there is an older guy and a younger guy that are great. Then there are 2 middle aged guys who are a pain to deal with. Last time I was checked one of the middle aged guys was with the younger guy. (and it seemed like the younger guy was in charge towards the end). I was in a brand new boat and had all my T's crossed and i's dotted. He must have spent over an hour going over the boat while the younger guy and I talked fishing. I actually got in the boat with the younger officer and tried to make it obvious why. (I was annoyed with the guy going back and forth in my boat). Finally the younger guy tells him "I'm sure there's nothing wrong with that boat, let's let this guy get back to fishing". I'm sure it's like anything else, there's good mechanics and bad mechanics, good salesman and bad salesman, so I'm sure there's good officers and bad officers.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkkky View Post
    Oklahoma warden are regular people, unlike some of the TV wardens that act like a swat team!
    I agree. I have friends in the ODWC and they're hunters and fishermen just like the rest of us.
    I was all but stripped searched one time in Nebraska. Stopped driving down the road. Me and my buddies (residents) were required to leave the vehicle, uncase are guns, etc, etc etc, Pretty sure he frisked my pointer!!!
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

5. Member
    I came off the water once and a fish and game officer was standing at the top of the ramp. Having no reason to panic, I pulled the boat up and got out to tie down. He came straight over to chit chat and ask me how I did that day? He proceeded to tell me about his new Ranger he just bought and even showed me a picture of it. He then invited me to go fishing with him and gave me his card! I was surprised!! He never once asked to look at or in my boat or see my license!...I really wished I had taken up the offer of fishing with him! :(

6. Banned
    NC DNR isn't bad to deal with. Now, SC DNR on border lakes, like Lake Wylie, are a bunch of *****s.

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    On the water in Florida I’ve come into contact with quite a few FWC officers. In saltwater I always get a quick boat check and they’re really friendly. Freshwater I never have been stopped but have seen quite a few, spoke to them and they are great..I habe one of their cards in my wallet because they were/are investigating a nuisance gator in my moms lake. Great guy and goes out of his way to call me and talk.

In Georgia and Alabama I’ve come into contact with game wardens and while they’re initially suspicious, which I understand since we are carrying weapons, they have ended up being really helpful.

From my experience they they care about our natural resources and enforce the laws...they hate poachers and dangerous people! I can see that.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Member
    Ive been stoppd for speeding on the county roads with the DNR in Commie Maryland
    YJHAMMER 11
    Hollywood MD
    2019 Skeeter FX21LE

9. Banned
    No problems with any of them here. The ones I've run into on the water were very friendly. Just doing their Job.

10. Member
    No real problems here. They concentrate more on the saltwater boys than freshwater down here. In over 30 yrs of bass fishing, I’ve only been checked twice and encountered one crew conducting a survey at a ramp. All the officers have been nice and professional. Honestly, I wish they were more prevalent. I see lots of safety, boating violations, and folks running boats under the influence on almost every trip out.

11. Member
    I’ve fished in ga for 20 years and was checked by the GW once. Same hunting, 20 years once. Our DNR dosent do squat for our fish and wildlife. They only spend their money on revenue items. The careless about natural fish and wildlife. They stock rainbow trout in our northern rivers, and hybrids and stripers. They’ve allow the deer population to drop signifiticantly, by allowing liberal “cruise control” limits and allowed spotted bass to take over most of our lakes. Our legislators have it set up to take your money and you don’t get much in return. ������

12. Member
    I've been checked by a game warden, in Texas, twice in 50 years. Once, he was great, other time he was an ass.

The one negative time, he and his partner pulled up to my boat on a windy point and banged into my boat. I offered to move to a protected cove, they declined. I then offered to spot lock their boat to mine and keep us both off the rocks.....again...declined. He then asked to see my livewells and asked if I was fishing "the tourney". I said yes. He said I was losing and should just load up and go home. Haha. I said I was on a good spot till they plowed over it and spooked the fish.

He then hen asked for life jacket(s) and a throw cushion, fire extinguisher, horn, lights (in daylight hours), I was kinda mad by then and asked why I need to show my lights at 10am. And how was I gonna throw myself a floatations cushion....when I fish alone!

Complete *******s.

The second time the warden was polite and asked for a license and boat registration. Asked to see my livewell.....then said have a nice day.

13. Member
    The first time I was ever checked was on a late Sunday afternoon. My Pops and I were ideling up for the run in when a gray center console approached and flagged us down. He said he’s doing a safety check. Now, it’s winter, Pops and I have on full vest-type life jackets with the roll collars, helmets, the whole bit. So we shut down, he checks everything, super nice fellas by the way, and we are good to go-nothing missing. He thanks us for our cooperation and tells us to have a great day and off we go. On the way in, I pass a flat boat with about 5 people onboard and not a one life jacket.

14. Member
    Here in Virginia, I'm convinced that we have some of the best folks in the U.S. Our agency is the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. A+ in every respect. COs are all down to earth men and women who love the outdoors and, in my experience, do a nice job in helping sportsmen and making things better for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywalls View Post
    Here in Virginia, I'm convinced that we have some of the best folks in the U.S. Our agency is the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. A+ in every respect. COs are all down to earth men and women who love the outdoors and, in my experience, do a nice job in helping sportsmen and making things better for the future.
    Stay out of an irregular shaped southern border county with a great section of the new and the tallest mtns in the state that shall remain nameless ... unless you want that opinion changed

16. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    The three lakes I fish in south central KY has practically no LEO presence. I can't recall the last time I was checked. If I had to guess I would say it was about 5 years ago. My schedule allows me to spend spend about 30-40 days a year on the water. I often fish during the week and I can not recall the last time I saw a boat out enforcing game or water laws. I did see them out once this year. As I was loading my boat they idled by a beach that was nearby and got on a speaker an announced for people not to swim out of the marked area. In my 30 years or so of boating in south central KY I can only recall 1 time where I was checked and the person done a through job. Most of the time they just ask to see my license and then ask me a few questions and are on their way. I suppose most people like it that way but when they ask if I have a throw cushion or a working fire extinguisher they just take my word for it. I have even had them ask if I had any fish in the livewell and said no and they took my word for it.

Now on my local lake we do have a biologist that is often seen taking a creel survey. I get checked by him a couple times a year. The thing is he is only asking questions about species caught, how many, length and amount of time I have been on the water. He has no law enforcement capabilities. All he is doing is taking a survey. I have expressed to him how the lake needs more LEO presence. If I wanted to rape the creel or size limit on my local lake I could do it with confidence that I would not get caught. I am probably in the minority here but I would like to see them out checking people more often. A through check can be done in 5 minutes or less. 5 minutes of my time is well worth knowing someone was looking out for people's safety and protecting our natural resource.

17. Banned
    While deer hunting one year, we decided to break camp one evening and call it done. Leaving camp after dark, game warden stops us with guns drawn and one comes up to my side and sticks his gun in my ear. Says the headlights constitute hunting with artificial light, but he didn't like that our guns were put already stored for the trip home. Even had my friend detained in cuffs. Big cluster ordeal that he sped away from as fast as he could when he figured out what I did for living and that part of his territory was my area. He retired shortly after that.

Pheasant hunting...always someone around the state lands with one of those tools to check for your plug. Don't have it, you will get fined.

Fishing. Never see anyone, but the local sheriff boat and it just floats around in circles all day burning fuel.

18. Member
    Generally good in Mn. over the years. A couple of
    times an over-zealous individual, but where is there not one of these.

Agree with JR19 - between exotics, abuse, sheer numbers of people
    and 10,000 lakes, well, "It just ain't easy".
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

19. Member
    I've never had any issues with AGFC. They have always been courteous and respectful when I be been checked. They do a good job.

20. Member
    No issues that I've seen in Ohio...wish they would focus more on busting guys that litter around our lakes, streams, and rivers than always just checking for fishing licenses or boat registrations.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast