Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbcf View Post
    I guess I just haven’t seen that many Big motor guys breaking the rules around here.We’re just reeeeally glad to be able to idle around.
    I only seen one big motor running on Newton Sunday. Three young guys, black boat, on the south end heading north past the hot ramp. They were going so slow that they could've trolled faster though.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbcf View Post
    We had two 9.9 hp Lakes near my home for 50 years.When we all bitched,moaned and pleaded our case,We got what we wanted.No horsepower limit and no wake.I ALWAYS follow the rules,but it doesn’t hurt to try to change them.
    Very interesting thought there. Not sure how decisions are made or the rationale, but changing to no wake certainly would not sit well with those and their Newton/25 H.P. boats. They would need to idle around from place to place vs plowing water and eroding the shorelines. On the plus side this would present an opportunity to purchase a large glass rig for those that have forgone that option due to the restriction. Either way it does not matter to me, as was mentioned above I’m happy to fish it on the troller.
    2021 BassCat Pantera Classic - Mercury
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 BassCat Caracal Mercury - Minn Kota - Humminbird - Powerpole
    2012 BassCat Pantera II - Mercury
    2004 BassCat Cougar - Mercury

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKFishing View Post
    Very interesting thought there. Not sure how decisions are made or the rationale, but changing to no wake certainly would not sit well with those and their Newton/25 H.P. boats. They would need to idle around from place to place vs plowing water and eroding the shorelines. On the plus side this would present an opportunity to purchase a large glass rig for those that have forgone that option due to the restriction. Either way it does not matter to me, as was mentioned above I’m happy to fish it on the troller.
    That’s exactly what we had to prove to DNR.A pontoon boat with 6 people and a 9.9 at full throttle was doing a lot more damage than any glass rig at idle.Granted,one lake is 100 acres,the other is 220 acres....pretty small

I just started fishing Newton. I am torn on the HP restrictions for the lake. However, I would lean for the lake to keep it. As other lakes struggle, I believe if the motor issue is open the lake will be flooded with boats. I trolled all day with out issue and caugt fish. You guys in S IL have a hidden diamond hope it stays that way.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123