Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Stay with the Cyber security. Faster promotions, and pays well if he decides to get out.

2. Member
    Cyber Security or Signal is the way to go.

lots of great skills/qualifications for later life should you go into the IT field. Getting a government security clearance (through either cyber security or the signal corps) is a BIG deal when finding great paying jobs in the civilian sectors. Companies like General Dynamics, L3, Viasat, Boeing, etc are a few of the companies that hire and pay well after the military.

3. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    We're not trying to get the young man to regress to eating crayons, lol . Cyber stuff, electronic, commo, health care are all areas I would point anyone. Stay away from the combat arms unless you're interested in being dirty and crapped on a bunch. As an 11B it was a lot of fun though lol. Go ARMY!
    Not kn ocking the Marines in any way, if you want a way to a career I think you be better off in the other branches. Army has the schools, Air Force has less schools and much better living conditions, slow promotions. Cost Guard is probably the best IMO if don't mind real slow promotions. I was a 11C (mortar man) for three years and a 76Y (Supply SGT) for three. Used the GI Bill big time for school and n ow the VA for bennies. Wish I did the 20 knowing now how fast time flies.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

4. Member
    So, he couldn’t get into cyber stuff but is going in tomorrow. Taking him down to recruiting office and they are taking him to Ft Meade then to Ft Leonard Wood for basic. Then on to Ft Gordon, GA. He will be learning communications wiring, repair. Will be like a phone company wiring guy. Translates into a good civilian job. Twenty five thousand signing bonus. Hopefully he will get out with his life in order.

5. Banned
    Best of Luck

6. Member
    It’s up to him now Grumpy. You’ve done what could and provided guidance. Good on you.

I think there are alot of us that the military helped get our lives in order :-) I had no clue what to do when I was 19 - best decision I even made was joining the Air Force. Spent the next 20yrs wearing a uniform - best decision I could have made!

Pay attention, work hard and do what you are told and the world will open up to him!

Best of luck!
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

8. Member
    Congrats to you for provid8ng the guidance. Thank him for serving!!
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator 2013 Yamaha 150hp HPDI Vmax

9. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Good for him. Keep us updated and I'm sure he'll make you proud.

Dale Sinclair original

Quote Originally Posted by BigMouth View Post
    Cyber security will be huge soon and it's mostly done indoors where there's AC and Heat!
    This is big at our company. He can pick his job when he gets out.

Well at least he didn't go to Ft.Puke next to Diseaseville La.

12. Member
    my youngest is about to join up,im scared and excited for him hes been training if you will for the last 8 month joining me in the gym etc love this extra time but its goin to kill me when he goes

13. Member
    Contact me if you want some advice as I spent 10years active and 5 in the National Guard Army and now work in Cyber Security. I enlisted at 17 as an E-1 and made it to Captain 03E in my career and learned a few things along the way. The Army is the largest service and has the most opportunities of all four. The Cyber Security world is short so many people it isn't funny and if he has a few years experience I can find him a job making like $85k in less than a week if not more. If he takes this route tell him to attend all training he can and get certified (e.g. Security+, CCNA, CISSP, etc.). The average salary for someone with their CISSP in my area is $120k and passing that cert has helped my career so much.

Allen

14. Banned
    Wish more grandparents were like you good job

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kneelnreel View Post
    my youngest is about to join up,im scared and excited for him hes been training if you will for the last 8 month joining me in the gym etc love this extra time but its goin to kill me when he goes
    i know the feeling. Dropped him off this morning. He will fly to Missouri tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyJoe View Post
    Tell your son "thank you" for his service.
    +

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy11 View Post
    i know the feeling. Dropped him off this morning. He will fly to Missouri tomorrow.

ft. lostinthewoods!!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

18. Member
    Hey Bill. Hope he can cut basic. I bet he will tell you lots of stories when he gets through. Just tell him if it gets too rough, don't come back to you, he has to gut it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12