Cast Iron Skillets

What do I look for when buying a cast iron skillet? Brands? Where to buy? Thanks!

I'm no expert or collector, but I use cast iron pretty much every day. My best 3 are no-names that I got at a flea market. Smooth inside, flat (not warped bottom). Made eggs this morning and they slid right out. If you can find a used pan in good condition they clean up easily. The newer Lodge pans I have were very rough and I had to hit them with sanding disks to smooth out the cooking surface. Wally world and Academy have house brands that were way to rough to consider.

Heartbreaker last week at the flea market. Griswold skillet. Smooth as a mirror inside. The bottom was so pitted they must have used it for target practice. Here's a couple vids that show you how to clean them up. Oven cleaning method is perfect. Second one is how to sand them. Didn't show up for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=2wHZ7hKpPUs

You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

4. Member
    Older the better. If you compare the new stuff to the old you will immediately be able to tell the difference. LOTS of Wagner Ware stuff out at the flea markets etc.

Old = smooth / New = rough. Had something to do with the companies wanting to have a way to quickly season them. The rougher texture allowed them to spray on oil and allow it to stick.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Whatever you get, use high lignen Flax Seed Oil to season it. Has a low smoke point and makes seasoning much easier and does a better job. I've used it on my 4 skillets, 2 Dutch Ovens and my Blackstone griddle.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Don't use motor oil. My son used a dutch oven that I hadn't got around to restoring for an oil change. That ain't gonna buff out.

7. Banned
    Get a new Field. Smooth as glass

8. Member
    Definitely hunt flea markets, garage sales, auctions, etc for an old time pan with no warpage. Much better than any of the newer stuff.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

9. Scraps
    I've bought a couple from HomeGoods and Marhsalls that work just fine. Clean with kosher salt and oil with olive oil.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Just looked up a couple that I thought were 'no-name'. Turns out that they're Lodge by the markings but a bit older and pretty smooth. Others I have can't be ID'd.

11. Member
    Never bought one.. all mine where past down threw family... nicely good and seasoned..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360