Merc 2.5l 240 jetboat bogging issues

Hey guys Im new to this forum I just picked up a 2006 Sugar Sand it’s a 16’ Merc 2.5l 240hp powered jetboat #0e428322 it was only used from 2006-2008 on a fresh water lake and has been sitting since (10 years!)… What I have done so far
    Detail
    Battery
    Inline fuel filter 35-889615
    Fuel water separator 35-18458 4
    Float needle
    Cleaned vaporizer out
    Sparkplugs
    Starter
    Drained fuel and filled with 30gallons of 93 octane with an additive to help remove water if any
    Topped off oil tank
    Replaced radio and speakers
    Hatch pistons

1sttime we cranked it she fired right up connected hose sounded great charging at 14.2 volts we put her in the water and ran great all day ¾ of the tank down thought all was well dropped off one of my buddies which involved a 10 minute 5mph zone after he jumped out I went to take off and it started bogging, pulled back and it ideled fine went to accelerate slowly went right up on plain then died again. limped the boat home and it has been sitting on my lift for 2 days went to check it out today brought a 5gallon container of fresh fuel figured id try and run everything I could out of it and top off with fresh. So just now I take off and all is well for 5 min then she dies again. It will run all day at 4k rpm no problems but when u accelerate she boggs out. I was able to run it dry of fuel and topped it off, while I was out there before I started it I noticed the alternator belt was broken off please let me know where I should start checking or replacing
    It’s a 30ish gallon plastic inboard fuel tank with no bulb I have not replaced any fuel lines just yet

2. Member
    replace belt charging system gotta work, start testing fuel psi as per serv manual
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    I would replace fuel lines after replacing alternator belt.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    can someone attach a link to the service manual?

5. Member
    There are no links, you'll have to buy one from a Mercury dealer, will be about the same price as an hour of labor at most any marine mechanic shop (probably less since you're in NY), and worth every penny. All you need is your engine serial number to get one and I recommend you contact forum sponsor European Marine after the holiday weekend - If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

And to stress what Joe54 said- REPLACE BELT before you do anything. Inadequate battery voltage could potentially cause ALL of your complaints.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    can someone get me a part number for an alternator and belt... mercury wants $600+ for a new one and I'm trying to cross reference it to pick up an aftermarket one TY the serial number is 0e428322

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't waste your money on an aftermarket alternator. Very few of them live long at 15K+ RPM's.

You can lookup those parts on our website, 24 hours a day (by serial number) at: European Marine Parts Department

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Take your alternator to a local starter/alternator/generator shop and have it rebuilt, will be much less than new, still OEM, and will work great.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Don't waste your money on an aftermarket alternator. Very few of them live long at 15K+ RPM's.

You can lookup those parts on our website, 24 hours a day (by serial number) at: European Marine Parts Department

11. Member
    gota small pulley on it BEN
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................