2,5 opti compressor issue

Optimax 150 1b778430. the bearing in the uper compressor end cap just seized. metal shavings outside the engine but do i have to have the fuel rails cleaned and injectors? inside of compressor is not disentegrated.
    ALSO

we tested the oil pump by going in oil prime mode. the oil line going to the upper compressor end cap is feeding oil correctly to the bearing. Dont think the compressor suffered from oil starvation.
    i know merc have redesigned the compressor in 2011. mine is a 2010 and with the old style compressor end cap. Now i have to buy the whole new redisigned compressor. But do these old style bearing are known for seizing as a desgin problem? Or something else is wrong with my engine and made the bearing break?

thanks
    THIS COMPRESSOR COST AN ARM AND A LEG (1500$CAN) OUTCHHH
    French canadian fishing for big st lawrence river smallmouth in a 2010 Triton 18xs, 150optimax 1b778430

2. Member
    would be " best" to do so, but you be sur to do an oil prime with new comp
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxl View Post
    Optimax 150 1b778430. the bearing in the uper compressor end cap just seized. metal shavings outside the engine but do i have to have the fuel rails cleaned and injectors? inside of compressor is not disentegrated.
    ALSO

we tested the oil pump by going in oil prime mode. the oil line going to the upper compressor end cap is feeding oil correctly to the bearing. Dont think the compressor suffered from oil starvation.
    i know merc have redesigned the compressor in 2011. mine is a 2010 and with the old style compressor end cap. Now i have to buy the whole new redisigned compressor. But do these old style bearing are known for seizing as a desgin problem? Or something else is wrong with my engine and made the bearing break?

thanks
    THIS COMPRESSOR COST AN ARM AND A LEG (1500$CAN) OUTCHHH

Thats rough!

How many hours on the motor?

Also 1500 was that JUST for the compressor or was that 1500 for install and compressor?

1500 is new compressor only. No labor with this price.about 275 hours
    French canadian fishing for big st lawrence river smallmouth in a 2010 Triton 18xs, 150optimax 1b778430

5. Member
    OUCH. ain't cheap!

seems like compressor life is all over the place. Did a lot of reading and there's really no average lifespan time.

hope the newer version of compressor are more durable

7. Member
    will be
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Maxl where did you buy the compressor from anyways ?

and you mentioned there's a new style end cap? whats the difference from the old one.

The only difference I was reading was that the new style compressors are painted all black and the old style being bare.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

Design of the bearing in the top cap are different. I had the service bulletin on hand a few days ago cant remember the number but ot was from 2011. New comp. part number would be 8M0060053

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    With the exception of a very few seals/o-rings, parts for your older compressor supercede to a complete assembly (replacement). No parts are being made for the older design- the vendor that made them went out of business (hence the new design/vendor).

Definitely wise to go through rails and injectors before running engine again. Very likely that metal passed into them.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks Don. Ill have them cleaned out. What do you thibk would be the main cause of the seized bearing? We did a oil prime sequence and oil is feeding to the upper hose that go to the bearing.compressor also had oil in it when we took the top cap off. Dont want a new compressor to do the same thing again.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Age, wear, corrosion, or simple "it broke syndrome".

Air compressors (whether on your engine or in a shop's compressed air system) live a pretty rough life... as they compress (and condense) air, the moisture in the air condenses into water, so they are subject to a lot of corrosion.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks Don. Ill be back on the water shortly. With a strong engine i hope