Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long before daylight are you in your stand?

I generally am a half hour in before sun up. I have heard various opinions though.

Depends on the situation. If I know the deer are in a specific area and are coming through, I will be there sometimes 1.5-2 hrs before so the woods can settle before they come through.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesjet View Post
    Depends on the situation. If I know the deer are in a specific area and are coming through, I will be there sometimes 1.5-2 hrs before so the woods can settle before they come through.
    Same here

4. Member
    45 min. Rest my eyes and listen to the woods wake up..
    2015 189 trx

I usually leave the house when I see it just starting to break day (only takes about 15-20 minutes to get to the stand). I road corn so the deer don't get there till I do.

6. Member
    In my stand 1 hour before official sunrise. Usually can see good enough 30 minutes before sunrise. I like the surroundings to calm down a bit before light.

7. Member
    Normally at BMNT.

All depends on the deer.. If I've been bumping them then I'll go in earlier.. Or if I've been getting pictures at a certain time I'll go in earlier... If not then I try to be settled by first light..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

9. Member
    midnight

10. Member
    Depends on situation and stand location. Having said that, more times than not I'm settled by gray light.

11. Member
    I normally get to mine 30 minutes before sunrise at the legal shooting time strictly because I can’t even see till the sun actually does come up. Just how it is where my stand is. Plus they normally come through mid morning

12. Member
    30 minutes or so before daylight breaks.

13. Member
    About 30 minutes before legal time. Used to be about an hour and 1/2, age changed that up. I need to learn to sleep in a little, for the last four years the magic time has been between 0830 and 0900, within 15 yards of each other. I'll always get there before daylight as long as I can, I love watching daylight break in the woods.

10-15
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

I am usually there about 10-15 minutes before day break too.

16. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    This is interesting. I personally show up about shooting light. Doesn’t seem to effect any of my hunts. I will say it does depend. Sometimes I don’t crawl into my stand till 9:30 and stay through 3 on a full moon. Try it sometime

17. Member
    An hour or more before civil twilight. Those sneaking bastage viet cong whitetail will be slipping through the wire before you can identify them. They will be like darker shapes against the darkness, be ready and be early. http://wordpress.mrreid.org/2013/02/...-and-twilight/

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    I go early as I just cant be late and love to see the woods wake up. This way if I bump them at least they are unsure... I agree with haftafish22 in that sometimes middle afternoon are key. Way to many times walking back to stand at 1:00 deer are all around it after I left at 11:00 to eat...
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

19. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    I go early as I just cant be late and love to see the woods wake up. This way if I bump them at least they are unsure... I agree with haftafish22 in that sometimes middle afternoon are key. Way to many times walking back to stand at 1:00 deer are all around it after I left at 11:00 to eat...

Years ago I climbed down from my bow stand at 11:05. Went and ate a leftover slice of pizza in the truck. Got back in stand at 11:30, and finished a long day of nothing.

Reviewed my cam cam footage of the plot I was hunting the next weekend and had two shooters within 10 minutes of me leave come hang out in front of my stand and I bumped them when I came back after my quick lunch. That’s what makes us keep going, you just never know when that magic time is with big bucks.

20. Member
    I go just when breaking light, use to get in 30-60 minutes before sunrise. Always bumping some and hardly ever used a flashlight and never ride my 4 wheeler. Only use it to retrieve a deer. Been deer hunting over 45 years, maybe the drive is not as strong but I have harvested probably 75% between 9:30 and 10am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast