Work hard fish harder SwampNinja's Avatar

Tenn vacation where to go, what to see....

Second week of sept me and my girl are going to tenn for a week to get away from horrible S.FL No plans as of yet no rooms booked lol we just know we want to get away and spend more time outdoors/mountain type stuff rather than the city attractions. She mentioned white water rafting and zip lining? I would love maybe a half day on Ckickamauga? Guide recommendation and where to stay for that? State parks to visit with cabins, hiking, things to do? Nice scenic drives in mountains? Throw me some ideas guys!!!! Thanks!
    Stratos 294 evo Etec 200 HO
    HydrillaGear.com IguanaGraphics.com

2. Banned
    No reason to go all the way to Tennessee. Go north of Atlanta on Hwy 400 and head for Helen, GA. It is a resort town famous for its Oktoberfest. The Appalachian Trail is.on top of.the mountain there. You can go whitewater rafting on the Ocoee, Nantahala or Chattooga rivers within an hour. Every third auto license plate is.from Florida.

3. Member
    Depends on where you go. White water rafting is great on the Ocoee and there are great zip lines in the Gatlinburg area. Tons of state parks in the state with great hiking.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

4. Member
    I think half of the population of Fairfield Glade, TN. are called Half-backs. That describes all of the Midwesterners who initially retired to Florida. After five years, they decided they wanted four seasons, but no really bad winters. So, they moved Half Way back to the Cumberland Plateau in TN. Ha ha

Ocoee for rafting; zip line at Gatlinburg, but it is crowded. Chick is crowded too, but you should try it anyhow. Golf at Fairfield Glade. Mountain festivals are all around at that time of the year. The smaller towns do a good job with them.
    rich

5. Member
    P.s. might try Chris Hight as a guide in the Chick.

6. Work hard fish harder SwampNinja's Avatar
    Looking at Townsend area to stay a couple days while spending time in the smokeys nat park. Know of any cool places to stay possibly with a water view?

7. Work hard fish harder SwampNinja's Avatar
    I've heard the Cherokee and Pigeon Forge are too cheesy/touristy and not to waste time there. The Townsend area is nicer...

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampNinja View Post
    I've heard the Cherokee and Pigeon Forge are too cheesy/touristy and not to waste time there. The Townsend area is nicer...
    That would be fair statement, IMO. Lots of cabins on the river there. I'd check the usual suspects; VRBO, etc. The town probably has some sort of chamber of commerce type contact as well. It is marketed as the (relatively) peaceful side of the Smokies.

9. Member
    Douglas lake area is a great place to visit. Right in the middle of many neat things to do along with fishing the lake if you are interested. Many lakefront cabins for rent. Dandridge downtown has great history, food, and entertainment. Within 45 minutes of many attractions such as Bush Brother's museum, Forbidden Caverns, Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, and Galinburg. This time of year, the elk are in Cataloochee valley in NC about an hour from Dandridge. Cades cove for Bear/Deer/Coyote's and Turkey. About an hour and half from Dandridge. Reach out to Jefferson County Travel:

https://www.tnvacation.com/local/dan...fferson-county

Bob

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampNinja View Post
    Townsend is the back door to the National Park--west of Maryville.. You can find accommodations on Booking.com, but it is a very quiet place to do day trips from.

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are what they are. They probably have as many hotel rooms as cities of 1 million people. With incredible shopping, go cart tracks and so many things to do, it is a great vacation. Dollywood is probably the best entertainment park there is --excluding Disney.

I choose my times to go to the mountains. Mid week after school starts is the time to go. And rooms are incredibly cheap most often.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    No reason to go all the way to Tennessee. Go north of Atlanta on Hwy 400 and head for Helen, GA. It is a resort town famous for its Oktoberfest. The Appalachian Trail is.on top of.the mountain there. You can go whitewater rafting on the Ocoee, Nantahala or Chattooga rivers within an hour. Every third auto license plate is.from Florida.
    Lake Lanier Spots on top water will be awesome then!