Youghiogheny in the fall

How is the fishing in the fall? Thinking about making a trip up and try to chase some smallies around. Would October or November be better?

2. Member
    The lake or the river

3. Member
    Lake

4. Member
    I think it is good or at least I have done well over the years. Though you have to check on the water level once you get info the fall.

5. Member
    Personally unless your visiting someone I would go to Lake Anna. I love that lake. Though the Yough is my home lake and I'm on it about 8 times each month.

6. Goby King
    Definitely want to chclcwater levels. Sometime in October, the ramps become unlaunchable.

7. Member
    The Yough used to be my home Lake. Launching/Ramp access will be critical as the water levels drop to winter pool. I always liked mid October for top water action. November would bring jigging spoons into play. Many times in Nov/Dec, I would fish that long Point (Horseshoe Bend) down by the dam. Many days I would never leave that point working all depths out to 60' and back shallower with Hopkins Spoons.

I used to do well in October with inline spinners too. I would fish the large size Panther Martin spinners and do well on smallmouth.

I kept my tin Terry bass boat for years just to fish the fall Yough bite. I launched several times on the old Route 40 bridge that would get exposed when the lake was 50' or so drawn down.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    Personally unless your visiting someone I would go to Lake Anna. I love that lake. Though the Yough is my home lake and I'm on it about 8 times each month.
    I live about 45 minutes from Lake Anna I'd be happy to swap a trip with you...

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    The Yough used to be my home Lake. Launching/Ramp access will be critical as the water levels drop to winter pool. I always liked mid October for top water action. November would bring jigging spoons into play. Many times in Nov/Dec, I would fish that long Point (Horseshoe Bend) down by the dam. Many days I would never leave that point working all depths out to 60' and back shallower with Hopkins Spoons.

I used to do well in October with inline spinners too. I would fish the large size Panther Martin spinners and do well on smallmouth.

I kept my tin Terry bass boat for years just to fish the fall Yough bite. I launched several times on the old Route 40 bridge that would get exposed when the lake was 50' or so drawn down.
    I might have to make a trip up there in October it sounds like...

10. Member
    The Yough Lake is BLOWN OUT!!! 14' over summer pool Thanks to the hurricane and the next hurricane later in the week. Forget it for a while.

11. Member
    I an give you a true update for October. Heck I have found a way to fish it 8 times this month and will hit it Thursday and once more on Sunday for my first ever tournament.

The water is high. However the launch that I use which is at the dam is 100 % in great shape.

Fishing has been the best I can ever remember period. This past Sunday I was on the lake from 9am to 2pm. I saw a total of 5 boats. I caught 12 bass all over 12 inches,the biggest just over 4pounds. I saw one other bass boat , the person was in a Ranger and he was doing well also. As we passed fishing the same shore he claimed to be doing as well and boating a large bass around 5 pounds.

The tournament on Sunday is a open buddy tournament. Starts at 5:30am. If my luck holds I just may place in my first tournament. I have really been doing extremely well on this lake all month.in fact the entire years has been good.

12. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    I an give you a true update for October. Heck I have found a way to fish it 8 times this month and will hit it Thursday and once more on Sunday for my first ever tournament.

The water is high. However the launch that I use which is at the dam is 100 % in great shape.

Fishing has been the best I can ever remember period. This past Sunday I was on the lake from 9am to 2pm. I saw a total of 5 boats. I caught 12 bass all over 12 inches,the biggest just over 4pounds. I saw one other bass boat , the person was in a Ranger and he was doing well also. As we passed fishing the same shore he claimed to be doing as well and boating a large bass around 5 pounds.

The tournament on Sunday is a open buddy tournament. Starts at 5:30am. If my luck holds I just may place in my first tournament. I have really been doing extremely well on this lake all month.in fact the entire years has been good.
    ...Just goes to show you what Mon Mariner knows.... NUT 'N!

Just Kidding Mark
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

13. Member
    Wow I never did give you an update. Life just got busy taken care of my wife.

Well it was the first time I followed Penn Dot plow trucks to go fishing. Trailering on snow covered roads south of Somerset Pa where not fun. It was cold even more than cold.

However the lake was great. Boat ramps and docks where great.

Fishing was the best all year.

I know the report is late but this was the best year I have had on the lake. I caught a lot of fish. I like to fish for walleye. However the bass fishing was so great I never once went after walleye.

Again sorry to get back to you so late.