PS21 settings and software update

Hi all, iv had a ps21 for two years. Up until a few weeks ago I had never updated any software since I installed the transducer originally. I had the settings dialed in to make the picture crystal clear and to be able to see bass, bait, and my bait clear as day as it lands in the water and tracks through the water column. It’s been unreal catching suspended schoolers, almost unfair. My original ps21 fried and I had to send it back to garmin, I downloaded a software update before figuring out it was a fried transducer thinking it was a software issue . Garmin sent me a new ps21, installed it, and updated my 93 and 73 graphs. Frontvue works fine but I cannot get nearly as clear of a picture as I previously had. Has anyone experienced any similar issues after updating their software ? Iv adjusted the gain, trails, noise reject, ect but I can’t track my bait nearly as well as before and it’s picking up a lot more “clutter” in the water and bass when directly in my cone aren’t showing up as a hard yellow return like they used to. I can post before and after pictures/videos along with my current settings if that would help.

My PS21 and 70dv used to work great. Somewhere along the line (update??) things went wrong and it has not worked right for a couple years. Garmin replaced the head unit and transducer and still not working right.

3. Member
    OMG! I am not alone...

4. Member
    and manual settings don’t improve things?

I know the updates changed auto settings, but I always use manual

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmillfishing View Post
    Hi all, iv had a ps21 for two years. Up until a few weeks ago I had never updated any software since I installed the transducer originally. I had the settings dialed in to make the picture crystal clear and to be able to see bass, bait, and my bait clear as day as it lands in the water and tracks through the water column. It’s been unreal catching suspended schoolers, almost unfair. My original ps21 fried and I had to send it back to garmin, I downloaded a software update before figuring out it was a fried transducer thinking it was a software issue . Garmin sent me a new ps21, installed it, and updated my 93 and 73 graphs. Frontvue works fine but I cannot get nearly as clear of a picture as I previously had. Has anyone experienced any similar issues after updating their software ? Iv adjusted the gain, trails, noise reject, ect but I can’t track my bait nearly as well as before and it’s picking up a lot more “clutter” in the water and bass when directly in my cone aren’t showing up as a hard yellow return like they used to. I can post before and after pictures/videos along with my current settings if that would help.
    do you have echomap or echomap chirp?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    and manual settings don’t improve things?

I know the updates changed auto settings, but I always use manual
    manual setting do able to reduce to "noise" but I cannot see my large flipping lure like 15ft away from my boat...

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosiko View Post
    manual setting do able to reduce to "noise" but I cannot see my large flipping lure like 15ft away from my boat...
    Im not sure i can see the same thing that close to the boat if its moving fairly fast. I dont fault the Panoptix for that.

The Panoptix engineer tried several older software versions and the current version on the water and couldn't really tell any difference in performance. All worked fine with default settings. For those having problems with clutter/interference, please restore sonar defaults to see if this corrects the behavior.RE

Regarding the Noise Rejection setting, for most applications the best setting is Low. But, let me know if any of you get a clearer return by setting it higher.
    Last edited by Todd Driscoll; 09-13-2018 at 07:13 PM.
    Garmin Pro Team