Gaston winter water temperatures...

Hey guys i posted the same thing in the NC forum but I’m looking to buy property somewhere in the next couple years and prefer to find something on a lake I can fish all year. Im from Frederick, Md and struggling to convince my wife to let me buy on the hot side of Anna. So I’m wondering if Gaston is fishable in December and March? Do the shallow coves freeze and does the main lake temp get down into the 30’s?
    2019 Triton 18 TRX w/ 200 Optimax 4s ProXs
    6" Z-Lock Jackplate & 24p Fury 3 Blade
    80# Ultrex & (2) 9” HDS Live units

2. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Definitely fishable all winter long.. My best days have come there in January and February
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

Very rarely does our cove freeze, if it does it’s really thin ice. We are right off the main lake,mile marker 2
    Mike Wright '07 Ranger 520vx
    Henrico Va./Henrico NC.

Pretty much all the lakes in Virginia are fishable throughout the winter months. I've only witnessed freeze overs on Lake Anna and SML a few times, and they weren't completely frozen over...just the back of some of the coves and it didn't last very long. I think the worst was actually this past winter on Lake Anna.

I've personally never been to Gaston during the winter, unless you want to count March as winter? But I'm sure it fishes well. It usually stays a few degrees warmer than Anna and SML, so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. As mentioned above, some of the best big fish days you can have on the water come in January and February.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    45-47 degrees is my magic number.
    Spro = If you throw it, they will come!!!

6. Member
    I'd just buy a house on the hotside of Anna and find a new wife :)