Thread: Pork Butt

Pork Butt

Plan on smoking a pork butt this weekend, it is 7-9 lbs, any suggestions on rub, temp, length of time? I know I could google the info but wanting to hear from the BBC crowd. Thanks

If you like a sweeter rub...Meat Church Honey Hog is AWESOME. As far as time goes, let the internal temp tell you when are done. A good temp probe is a worthy investment. No need to google...just go to www.amazingribs.com for reading.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Plan on about 8 hours. It can be done faster, but that's a good guesstimate. Also plan on having it done about 2 hours prior to when you want to eat. If it hits the temp early, just wrap and put in a cooler. You should let it rest for about an hour anyway. If you foil, towel, cooler it, it'll be almost as warm as it went in and the bone will pull easily.

4. Member
    Cook to an internal temp of 203, then in a cooler for at least an hour.

5. Banned
    Rub with yellow mustard and use a high quality dry rub. I put mine on a smoker and smoke it with wood chips the first 2 hours only. And I cook by a meat thermometer, not time.

We are fortunate in the MidSouth to find great dry rubs in local grocery stores. My favorite is the Rendezvous rub out of Memphis.

6. Member
    My wife and I for years have been very big into smoking meat. Until recently we used to wake up at 4-5am to get it started to be able to have it for dinner when everyone comes over.
    If you plan do to a lot of smoking I highly recommend a Sous Vide. It essentially cooks the meat through for a day or so in water (vacuumed sealed) but to the exact temperature you want and does not burn it. From there we then get the smoker going mid party to fill the air of the sweet smell of meat smoking! We leave it on for about 2-3 hours and then let it sit for a bit then serve! We follow the same principle for brisket and comes out perfect every time! It keeps the meat moist everytimr!
    Mad Bamaman suggested, a sweet yellow mustard lathered up thick and then your dry rub of choice.

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

I mix mustard and molasses 50/50 as a base rub then the dry rub and plan on 225 for 12 hours .

9. Member
    275-280 for 5 hours then put in foil pan and wrap with foil for 2 hours, then into a cooler (oven works as well) to rest for at least an hour. I do 4-8 butts a day on average this way and it's a life saver. I do like low and slow, but hot and fast brisket and butts sure saves me when running a business and trying to time things out.

Some of you guys are getting yours to cook a whole lot faster than mine do. 8lbs butt usually takes around 12 hours. I try to keep my temp around 220-250 and cook it to 200+.

11. Member
    Did a rub with unsweetened cocoa, ancho chile, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and a bit of espresso. Mine went from 9 AM to 5 PM at 275* on my WSM with Kingsford blue and a few chunks of local oak. Crutched it with butcher paper about an hour into the stall (165*). Pulled it off the smoker at 203*, then into a cooler for an hour. That method seems to never fail around here.

Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    Cook mine at 225-230for 8-10 hrs depending size then rap. For couple more and let it sit..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

13. Member
    My 9 lb butt took 13.hours at 225 the green mountain grill did me proud. It was the first one I have done with a pellet smoker. The bark was far superior to the bark I was getting with the MES
    John the Garage Doorman

14. Member
    Get you some bone sucking sauce rub, almost all Lowes stores carry it, rub with mustard and cover with rub, get smoker to 225 and put on butt, cook until internal temp reaches 165, pull butt and double cover with foil, get smoker to 275 and putt butt back on, cook until internal temp is 203, let rest in cooler for 1 hour, will be best butt you have ever eaten, pull bone and then shred butt, use just a little of whatever sauce you like, it will already have great flavor and be extremely moist. Oh, also while smoking unwrapped keep pan of water, I use apple juice, in smoker to keep moisture in meat. I like to use a mixture of hickory and apple wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Rub with yellow mustard and use a high quality dry rub. I put mine on a smoker and smoke it with wood chips the first 2 hours only. And I cook by a meat thermometer, not time.

We are fortunate in the MidSouth to find great dry rubs in local grocery stores. My favorite is the Rendezvous rub out of Memphis.
    ^^^^ This is the most important. Cook to at least 195, preferably 200 and then rest for an hour.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack