Thread: Removing Decals

Removing Decals

My 2017 Legend decal on the boat is starting to peel. Got a new one from the factory under warranty. Anyone have any tips on removing the rest of the old one and cleaning the glue off the clear coat before installing the new one.

2. Member
    Think I'd start with plain old alcohol - it should also remove any grease or wax to the new one will stick right.

3. Banned
    Pressure washer. Mineral spirits if the glue is stubborn

4. Member
    Use Goo Gone works wonders....

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    Think I'd start with plain old alcohol - it should also remove any grease or wax to the new one will stick right.
    If you use alcohol be sure to clean it off with plain water, alcohol leaves a film, learned this when I insalled a keel guard it didn't stick.

6. Member
    thanks guys.

7. Member
    A heat gun or even a hair dryer would work.

Try this , a 3M eraser wheel What ever you do (no heat gun) that only makes the glue more sticky. This doesn’t mar the paint either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    Try this , a 3M eraser wheel What ever you do (no heat gun) that only makes the glue more sticky. This doesn’t mar the paint either.
    That may be fine for an aluminum but thats a no no for gel coat, eraser is ok for removing small scuffs/marks on white gel coat but it will leave a visible scuff that is very noticable on dark gel coat, black is especially bad. A magic eraser is almost like very very fine sand paper, if you use it on gel you have to take rubbing compound and wax to it to make it shine again.

10. Member
    I can get the decal off pretty easy. The residue is what /I need to deal with. Seems like mineral spirits or goo be gone is the answer. I was just wanted to make sure what I used would not hurt the clear coat.

11. Member
    Heat gun, denatured alcohol.

12. Member
    I have always used a heat gun to remove the stickers and then WD 40 to remove the heavy adhesive residue and then a quick swipe with alcohol and then Protec and I am done.

13. Member
    It’s easier-to peal if you peal it deck and down at a 45 degree angle and close to the boat just don’t pull it out towards yourself.. that way it will break into smaller pieces..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by waco oso View Post
    That may be fine for an aluminum but thats a no no for gel coat, eraser is ok for removing small scuffs/marks on white gel coat but it will leave a visible scuff that is very noticable on dark gel coat, black is especially bad. A magic eraser is almost like very very fine sand paper, if you use it on gel you have to take rubbing compound and wax to it to make it shine again.
    An eraser wheel works fine on gel. Just don’t run it really fast with a lot of pressure. I use one daily in my shop and all I basically do is gel restoration and cosmectic repairs.....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com