Bought a 1998 273! TM recs, seat options, spare tire mount, mystery switch!

Hey all - first post!

Just bought a '98 273 - she's not the prettiest girl at the dance, but she'll get me on the water.

There's a broken mystery switch on the mounting plate in the nose, wondering if anyone knows what it typically is for? I have the typical Trim and Anchor light switches, but haven't had a chance to start investigating this 3rd one. Luckily there doesn't appear to have been much tinkering with the stock wiring on the boat by previous owners - I spent a lot of years in the car stereo and electronics world, so I'm glad I don't have to clean up a bunch of bodgy wiring before I start making some tweaks, and troubleshooting some dead gauges.

What do I need to be targeting on thrust for a TM? 80lb fortrex or x3/x5? Currently boat has a 12v MinnKota Edge 45lb, prev owner said that in strong current up on 5 it would keep resetting itself. There's a pair of fresh batteries wired in parallel, so the changeover to a 24v system is simple (boat is already wired with a 24v plug.)

Seats? Options - web based places like bassboatseats.com? Looks like the easiest turn-key option without having a local place recover.

Mystery switch: What's it do (the one on the left)?

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I don't have that switch on mine no clue. For a trolling motor
    I have a motor guide 70lb 24vt it does the job with ease.
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator
    2000 Johnson 150hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 Si
    Humminbird Helix 5 sonar
    Bonifide SS127

3. Member
    I have 65lb minn kota maxxum 24v on mine does great job. The boat had the original 12v/24v trolling motor on it when I bought it and it was a 42lb trust. World of difference with the 65lb trolling motor.
    Not sure what that switch would have been for. That cover/plate is where the stock fish finder would go. It looks like the plate is from the factory because of the two white lines that match the cover plate where the trim and lights switches are.
    As far as the seats, since like you said, its not the prettiest girl at the dance. I would try a few local boat dealers in your area and maybe come across a decent used seats. It worth a try before you spend money on new or have the current ones reworked.

You said the it was wired for 12/24. Maybe it is a 12-24 volt switch for the trolling motor?
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

FYI, the 65 pound thrust TM mentioned is exclusive to BPS and is a pretty good price considering.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

6. Member
    Thanks all.

I got into the nose today to replace a non functioning nav light socket - found that the mystery switch is 100% factory. The OEM wiring harness had labels on the wiring, and that switch was labeled "Acc". It was powered 12v constant and had nothing attached to it, so I guess it was just an expansion switch. There was also another constant power wire bundle in there that was labeled "Hot". Looked like it had been attached to something at one time and taped up. I'm guessing there was a fishfinder or something on the bow at some point.

Also, prev owner said there had been a mouse in the boat that he finally got rid of. Did find some traces of prior occupation, but I've seen worse when it comes to rodents.

Flush mount TM tray came in, but I think I'm going to tackle non functioning dash gauges today, and getting that old stock Lowrance x22 graph out of the dash. Will probably start a new thread for some of that.

Also - boat doesn't have a horn or a switch for one.

I wouldnt worry about a horn, I have only used mine for fun. Keep a whistle on board.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

8. Member
    On the trolling motor u need a new set of circuit breakers they have one on each cable, step up a few amps that will stop the kicking off. mine did the same thing after i put a 24v edge trolling motor on. i replaced the old ones with some that were about 5 to 10 amps higher The old trolling motor may of been a 12 V motor mine was wired for either. Just make sure the cale is big enough to handle the load, mine had like #8 gauge or bigger and was what the factory installed. It was wired for both 12V and 24V. You will love the pan for the foot pedal might want to get u one of the seat poles with the curve in it to sit u back a little more if u are tall. the 273 is a good boat i had mine for about 6 years smooth ride for a 17' boat. I put a fortrex on the boat i have now 80# trust i like it. The Maxum is also a good motor, is what i just replaced. I was not a fan of the edge but i would run it until it quits. Or until u bend the motor shaft by accident hitting the switch with the motor tie down like i did. the prop will hit the boat when in the up position. Cub48

9. Banned
    I put an 80 lb fortrex on my 273. Wish it had more thrust but it works. I drove to Monroe, LA and bought my 273 last spring.

10. Banned
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Member
    Mystery hole was either a lowrance 1440a flasher or a water temperature sensor.

12. Member
    Nice boat! You planning to buff or wet sand the hull?

Can't tell the condition of the gel coat from the pics. Love that color combo

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javjoe View Post
    Nice boat! You planning to buff or wet sand the hull?

Can't tell the condition of the gel coat from the pics. Love that color combo
    Thanks - it was a relatively cheap fixer-upper that will get me on the water. Didn't want more than 17-18' just due to storage space, and my Tacoma isn't the world's strongest tow vehicle. I'll be fishing solo a lot, so I don't need just tons of room.

The Gel is pretty rough - especially on the top outer areas. I think it has been sanded and cleared at some point back down the line, but it has spent a lot of its life sitting in the sun - the blue has faded a lot on that upper, even the silver has faded a good bit. I might get around to trying to sand and buff, but I'm afraid I'm going to end up all the way thru to the flake - that might have happened some with whoever worked on it in the past.

Have had a lot going on the last few weekends, haven't been on the water - also, the keel was chewed up like the boat had been regularly grounded on concrete or rock. I reinforced all of that and one gouge in the bottom with MarineTex last weekend. I'll finish sanding that, and then put a keel-saver on this weekend.

Other than that, and mounting a console graph/transducer, I'm ready to just go and fish. The wife is starting to think that I drug home another terminal project vehicle.

14. Member
    Only guessing , it may be a on/ off switch for a flasher . Looking at the round sound some plug up .