Lost cowling to submerged log.. looking for alternatives

So as title states.. was on plane about 50ish, two foot dia log 3" below the surface took out engine..

Cowling got ripped off and thrown in 40 feet of river.. need to find another..

2000 model Yamaha Vmax 150 OX66

I can find several new ones from different places ranging from $1400 to $1700.. However, I would obviously like to find a used one or alternative that would fit..

unfortunately I had wrong insurance.. (NOT "agreed value") learned about agreed value here on BBC.. and insurance gave me a LOT less then it cost to repair.

I cannot find one for my year of course... was hoping a different model or year would fit??

Any suggestions??

There’s one on here for sale .. I think
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    I did a search.. found a couple.. one for newer HPDI and one for a larger 225.. they are to new or big to fit mine.. I have to pull SN off motor and call Yamaha customer service to see if any parts are universal.. I'm guessing now and I"m just going to have to drop the dough and get a new one!!

you can bet next time I go out I'll have a ratchet strap on that thing!! LOL .. of all the broken pieces on the motor that and the steering cables were the most expensive.

BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    I have a cowling from a 2000 vmax 175. I think it is the same cowling with different stickers.

6. Member
    crank68

Thanks for the link.. I didn't see that one.. I sent him a pm to get year... THANKS

7. Member
    Whistler.... is that an OX66 or HPDI? I'll reach out to yamaha and see if they have the same foot print...

8. Member
    Neither. The 175 was carbureted. But looked like the OX66 if i recall correctly.
    Last edited by Whistler; 08-30-2018 at 09:12 PM.

9. Member
    Hardcore marine in Florida used to sell lots of used Yamaha parts. I haven’t used them in a while, but it would be worth looking into.

www.hardcoremarine.com