Thumbs down big green egg eggniter problems

Anyone else having problems with the Eggniter? I have had to return one after less than 5 months for failure of the heating element. My replacement under warranty has now quit heating after 10 starts! The blower still works on the replacement and also the first one....so it is not my power source presumably. I had a Looftlighter before these and it lasted 5 years plus!...on the same power source. I have noticed that the Eggniter is made in Chine by the way...I am not a fan none the less...

2. Banned
    I clearly have no idea what that is. I use a push button torch. 0 issues

3. Member
    I use a cheap electric charcoal lighter from Walmart. I think it was $8. When it dies, I'm going to buy a torch.
    Last edited by Bassakwards; 08-28-2018 at 12:09 PM.

4. Member
    MAP GAS TORCH

5. Member
    its bge's bright idea of a Looftlighter which is Swiss made and lasted a very long time...my local bge dealer use to carry the Looft... when I bought my egg I bought the Looft...it is an electric heat gun....bge's cheaply built Eggniter is made in China at 90.00 bucks purchase price plus tax..this is what my local store replaced a quality electrical igniter with...claiming that the eggniter has better control over the start with dual "heat" and "just fan" functions with the heat function failing on two units thus far....

6. Member
    I use the electric charcoal lighter from Lowes.

7. Member
    I just use a piece of paper towel with a bit of cooking oil on it.

Quote Originally Posted by wwc3 View Post
    I just use a piece of paper towel with a bit of cooking oil on it.
    Same here. Or I get the fireplace lighter sticks on sale once in a while. Cut them into 1" cubes and they work great. Tried the electric ones and they all crap out.

9. Member
    Thanks guys...gonna return this piece of junk and get my money back...been using a propane torch but its hard to keep it lit...gonna try a different tip on it that has a wider flame pattern...

10. Member
    Check out the torch on smokeware.com

I use Weber or similar fire starters. 2 for a slow burn, 3-4 for a little hotter fire. Fill the Firebox about 3/4 of the way, light the starters, and once they’re going well fill it up to the desired level. For a searing fire, use a charcoal chimney and newspaper.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    Thanks guys...gonna return this piece of junk and get my money back...been using a propane torch but its hard to keep it lit...gonna try a different tip on it that has a wider flame pattern...
    By the sounds of it you got the 9$ torch head. You gotta get the right one. Then buy the cheap round Coleman fuel cans.

13. Member
    Charcoal chimney works well too.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

14. Member
    My torch tip is much finer...that's what the problem must be...Thanks Clif...and the rest of you as well! Gonna check out the smokeware too!

15. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    I clearly have no idea what that is. I use a push button torch. 0 issues
    Clif, do you use the push button torch straight on the charcoal until it catches fire or do you put something else in the charcoal to get the fire going in your egg?

17. Member
    mikeky, Does the torch have a self contained lighter or do you need to put a lighter in front of it...? This torch looked pretty cool but it doesn't state that it has a self contained lighting mechanism...Thanks thus far!

18. Member
    It has a self contained igniter.

19. Banned

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Master View Post
    Clif, do you use the push button torch straight on the charcoal until it catches fire or do you put something else in the charcoal to get the fire going in your egg?
    Yup...just slowly move in a fist size circle. At first you want to find the lump that doesn't want to spark like mad. So on first light I move around and find the areas I want to light. If you have welder gloves then you can just use opposite hand to block all the sparks. Some spots chill out after a few seconds. Once you do this you'll figure it out.