Thread: What to get

What to get

Hopefully in the next month or two I'll be purchasing my first boat bigger than a john boat. I'm obviously going to equip. It with a couple units. My budget is going to be right around $1300. I emailed BBG and he's out of non Plus Echomap units which I was looking to get 2 93SV units. It looks like the 93SV non Plus is getting harder to find. What do you suggest I get. Brian quoted me a couple Striker 9SV which is well within my budget and I could live with, but they don't have mapping. I know they have Quickdraw and like I told him my biggest lake is about 300 acres, I don't want to spend a bunch of time mapping my lakes if I don't have to but will. I would prefer to only use Quickdraw on fishy looking areas but with the Striker units that's not really and option that I know of. So what do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    You can use QuickDraw while you are using other functions on your unit. It doesn't have to be on the screen to work. So you just fish using your downvu and/or sidevu and record at the same time.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

3. Member
    Yup. I've never used Quickdraw but I'm familiar with it's functions. My only hang up and it's really not that big of a deal is getting to the lake having no mapping and not getting a ton of mapping done just by fishing.

I've used the non Plus Echomap but don't own one. So currently I fish blind beat the banks whenever I go out. I'm afraid I'd continue to do that without mapping. I could spend a couple hours mapping the lake. Like I said I've never used Quickdraw before so maybe it wouldn't take more than a couple hours to map a 300 acre lake.

Just a little background to help you better understand where I'm coming from. I currently have a 14' flat bottom with a trolling motor, I fish very small lakes that are 20-30 acres at most. When I upgrade boats I'm going to upgrade lakes as well with 300 acres being the biggest around and quite big for what I'm used to. I've fished bigger of course being from Michigan but not in 20 years. Maybe I'm over thinking this, which is why I'm asking you guys.

4. Member
    If you don't mind used units. I would haunt the electronics forum on this site. Garmin MFD'S are a little tougher to sell and good deals can be found. I expect that in the not too distant future. That this is going to change. As more and more Humminbird and Lowrance users switch to Garmin.

By picking the chirp series you will be able to run all the panoptix but not live scope. The new high definition SI is also not compatible. The good news is the used PS 21 , PS 22 , PS 30 , PS 31 are selling for about a third of their original retail.

Whenever possible incorporate one of the Panoptix ducers into your system. Not only will it improve your catch but your mapping results also. I have not personally used Quickdraw with my Panoptix but others have liked their results. Hint: if you ice fish opt for the PS 22.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

5. Member
    One thing you need to do before you dismiss creating your own maps is to check and make sure your lakes are even on the LakeVu map list and to what level. One of the lakes I fish is about 1200 acres but the only Garmin map available is "shoreline only". Meaning there are no contour lines on the map shown on the Garmin unit unless I map the lake myself using QuickDraw. I just mention this since you said the largest lake you fish is 300 acres. It just depends on the area. There is a much smaller lake also nearby that has full HD 1' contour coverage so some small lakes are covered but again it would be wise for you to check if you haven't already so that you know before you by a unit counting on the maps.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncredbear View Post
    One thing you need to do before you dismiss creating your own maps is to check and make sure your lakes are even on the LakeVu map list and to what level. One of the lakes I fish is about 1200 acres but the only Garmin map available is "shoreline only". Meaning there are no contour lines on the map shown on the Garmin unit unless I map the lake myself using QuickDraw. I just mention this since you said the largest lake you fish is 300 acres. It just depends on the area. There is a much smaller lake also nearby that has full HD 1' contour coverage so some small lakes are covered but again it would be wise for you to check if you haven't already so that you know before you by a unit counting on the maps.
    Good point and I've checked and the quite a few if not all I fish have maps. I'm not sure if any of the bigger lakes have 1' contours. I'm not, not going to use Quickdraw I'd just like having something to start with. You guys might laugh but going on a 300 acres lake with no contour mapping would be daunting to me. I want to start fishing offshore structure instead of beating the banks all the time.

7. Member
    thegpsstore.com has the 94sv chirp with Lake Vu Ultra Hd package for $699.https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-e...dle-P5586.aspx
    Rick Collis
    903-473-8820

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Collis View Post
    thegpsstore.com has the 94sv chirp with Lake Vu Ultra Hd package for $699.https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-e...dle-P5586.aspx
    So this will get me inland lakes with the LakeVu package?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Collis View Post

10. Member
    No. The echomap CHIRP 9x unit are functionally the same. The last digit indicates which map you get.
    92 Basemap
    93 Lake maps
    94 Blue water
    95 Canadian
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    No. The echomap CHIRP 9x unit are functionally the same. The last digit indicates which map you get.
    92 Basemap
    93 Lake maps
    94 Blue water
    95 Canadian
    Well crap. I knew the 94 was coastal, I thought maybe the Lakeview Ultrad HD package was a special one to get people to buy them considering the 94s are kind of a limited market IMO.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12poundbass View Post
    Yes. The Ultra maps are the best that Garmin has and that is what comes with this bundle
    You could also get a Lake Vu HD card if you want.
    Rick Collis
    903-473-8820

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    92 Basemap
    93 Lake maps
    94 Blue water
    95 Canadian
    The Ultra map card comes with this particular bundle. https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-e...dle-P5586.aspx
    Rick Collis
    903-473-8820

14. Member
    Ok so I'm understanding this I order the 94sv CHIRP with this bundle shown and I have mapping of my Michigan lakes? Is this what you're saying?

15. Member
    Just clicked on the link and it says transom mount transducer. This isn't the same as the 93 where it's either a transom or TM transducer?

16. Member
    I have a new 94sv and a 93 sv side by side on my console. The Ultra card shows the exact same maps on either unit. So I would say the Ultra card will show your local lakes. Good luck
    Rick Collis
    903-473-8820

17. Member
    Pm Tim @fastbassmarine. You might be in the ball park of you order one plus 93sv with transducer and one without
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6