Banned

2000 283 Vindicator Stratos Water leak!

I have an 18' Stratos 283 Vindicator with a water leak concern. Only time this water leak occurs is when I have a co angler fishing from the back of the Stratos. I found that the material used to seal the upper and lower caps of the boat is not preventing water from entering the boat and causing the bilge pump to activate. Anyone have any suggestions I might follow to seal the rear area of this Stratos?

2. Member
    Take the rub rail off and use 100% silicon caulk.

Generally the screws are backing out or broke allowing the top cap to separate from the bottom hull. The sealant cannot hold that connection together by itself so you get cracks/breaks in the sealant. Take the rub rail off on the back where it's leaking and screw her back together using 5200 between the top cap and bottom. Put silicon or the 5200 on the screws when you run them in. You may need to drill new holes or use larger screws. Then use 4200 or 4000 to put a nice caulk bead underneath wher the rail meets the hull.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Generally the screws are backing out or broke allowing the top cap to separate from the bottom hull. The sealant cannot hold that connection together by itself so you get cracks/breaks in the sealant. Take the rub rail off on the back where it's leaking and screw her back together using 5200 between the top cap and bottom. Put silicon or the 5200 on the screws when you run them in. You may need to drill new holes or use larger screws. Then use 4200 or 4000 to put a nice caulk bead underneath wher the rail meets the hull.
    Thanks guys, I did exactly what you guys suggested. I pulled the rub rail loose from both sides of the rear section of the boat, removed those screws along the top cap, trimmed that bit of black seal protruding from the edge of the upper cap and applied a bead of sealant caulk. After leaving caulk 24 hours to cure. I then applied a 2" strip of Flex Tape as a second seal. I have reattached the rub rail and plan to give this fix procedure a check in a couple days after giving the sealant and Flex Tape time to cure out good.

5. Member
    Good luck!