Thread: MANDO EQUIPMENT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MANDO EQUIPMENT

Afternoon folks! Quick question for you all....

What is the required gear to have onboard a 19ft bassboat in Virginia?

and/or recommended gear?

Life jackets for all, throw cushion, fire extinguisher and a 100 pack of blue fleck power worms!
    2017 Phoenix 21 PHX

3. Member
    Thanks Jim, what about flares and whistle?

No flares are required. A whistle or other noise generating device may be required but they never check for that. Maybe the built in horn is good enough.
    2017 Phoenix 21 PHX

Don't forget everyone must have the boater safety course now.
    2017 Phoenix 21 PHX

6. Member
    copy, yeah I have that done already , thanks!

Blue fleck power worms are a myth.

8. Member
    One important thing to remember is that the throw cushion has to be readily accessible. If a game warden does a check and the box is locked that the throw cushion is in or you have lots of rods on the deck door and throw cushion is inside that box, you run risk for getting a citation. All depends on the warden, but have asked several and all similar responses.

9. Member
    THanks Jav....good point

10. Member
    I put throw cushion under legs at base of seat. Or sometime rest my left leg on it. I always have it out. Got a ticket on Colorado river for not having it out. The officer told me that is a petpev of theirs. Sure fire way to get a ticket and have other stuff checked.
    Semper Fi

What I want to know is if you are fishing by yourself, who is going to throw the cushion to you if you fall overboard???
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE-SOMEONE PAID.

12. Member
    Ranger, I have asked that questions before and was told it is not for you, but for someone you may spot in the water....

13. Member
    ..and your paperwork. Registration, boater safety card, insurance. I pulled into Pohick ramp on Potomac last Friday evening, Fairfax police set up. I pulled out one bag, handed it to them, pulled out throw and fire ext., was good to go. When asked if I had been drinking, my response was well received. "Not yet!" Did get warning for not having throw out. Will say police were courteous and professional.

14. Member
    Been my experience many times on James and Chesdin if you have the pfd readily accessible and registration, boater card, fire extinguisher easy to locate and less time them drifting in and out of gear are there biggest ticket items and most of time they don't ask to look at the gauge on my off. Easy in and out, as I assume they know you have your stuff organized.

15. Member
    Thanks all, I agree if you have your stuff organized and dont ahve to hunt for it, makes a good first impression

16. mikesxpress
    All the regs are here which includes flares/horn-whistle requirements.
    https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/boatin...t-regulations/

17. Member
    Thanks Mike...I got everything excpet the flares...that was my concern

18. mikesxpress
    Your welcome Tom.
    No ones paying the catfish cops but you if non-compliant. Follow the regs.

19. Joe4d
    flares depend on where you are operating. If on coastal water or rivers more than 2 miles wide they are required.
    Didnt know this about the type IV, I always kept mine in the storage box behind the drivers seat,basically used it under the lid to turn that box into a drink cooler, But according to this past from DGIF it isnt legal

• Each Type IV throwable must be immediately available. “Immediately available” means the life jacket shall be quickly reachable in an emergency situation. An immediately available life jacket cannot be in a protective covering, in a closed compartment, or under other equipment. There is no requirement to have a line attached.

20. Member
    I know the throwablle one very well...I got a warning one time because I was fishing by myself and didnt have it out. I asked him who was suppose to throw the cusion to me? He told me it was not for me, it was if I came across a person in distress in the water...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast