Sand in fuel filter

After a day on the lake I decided to do a bit of maintenance on my 2003 115 2stroke 0T629207. When I took the fuel filter off, a good bit of what looked like sand came out. The boat ran fine but was a bit stubborn to start and would stall occasionally when putting it in gear. Now I want to clean the entire fuel system including the carbs and tank. How would you proceed?

2. Member
    I bet it is not sand, if you have old fuel lines it is the plastic liner decomposing - a know problem.

3. Member
    That is exactly what it is. Looks like the bulb and some of the hoses have been replaced. What do you recommend as for cleaning out the system?

4. Member
    exactly
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Took the carbs off tonight and cleaned them. They looked ok. All of the lines that connect the carbs were good as well. The fuel pump, not so much. I got a rebuild kit and will take care of it this weekend.

7. Member
    classic example , its gonna run so much better
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Yep, had that happen to me one time too on a boat I bought that had that line on it. All I run is the best black fuel line I can find at the parts store and have never had a problem.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

9. Member

10. Member
    Got everything back together and got her started. Definitely starts easier. I have noticed it idles a bit rough. Is that something common for a 2 stroke? It seems like the idle is just a hair low. The motor kind of shakes at idle.

11. Member
    you know it only run on top 2 at idle ???? pull bottom 2 wires off = no change

12. Member
    Took it out this weekend for one final day on the lake before the weather drops off cooler. I noticed it was still running a bit rough most of the day. Every time I would stop and turn it off I would have to squeeze the primer bulb in order to get it to start again. I also kept smelling gas all day long. It eventually started running so rough I had to bring it in. I took the cowling off and noticed that fuel was leaking out of the fuel pump. That explains why it was running rough. Now I have to decide whether to try to rebuild the fuel pump again or just purchased a new fuel pump. It was not the easiest job in the world getting all the gaskets wind up in sandwich together.

13. Member
    Would you try and rebuild again or buy a new pump?

14. Member
    don't think ive ever replaced a complete pump